IGNORED

HELP!! Speedo cable mystery

Kerrigan

I'm trying to remove the inside speedo cable, the "snake" in the cable housing, on our '71 Fairlady Z.

Can't figure out which end it will pull out from, speedo end or tranny end. Tried at the speedo end and it didn't budge. Tugged on the tranny end a little but it doesn't want to seem to come out!

Is there something unseen holding it in or am I missing something? The dealer said all he knew was it was 8" shorter than the regular Z cable ... not much help.

Which end should it pull out of???

Thanks!!!

Hmm, good question. I've never tried to pull the cable apart.

I know that a lot of cables are made so that you can't replace the cable unless you cut one end off it, as the ends aren't big enough to go through the casing. Then you have to put the end on the cable itself after you install the new one in the casing.....

If it won't move after removing the oil seal in the end, you might be just as well off trying to find a whole new cable assembly and just do what you have to to hide the small excess. Plus, if it won't move at all, it's probably not going to last long even if you do put a new cable in as it sounds like there may be something wrong with the casing.

Originally posted by 2ManyZs

..........If it won't move after removing the oil seal in the end, you might be just as well off trying to find a whole new cable assembly..........

Sorry to move the thread in a slightly different direction for a moment, but I'm wondering if anyone knows if the oil or grease seal at the transmission end of the speedo cable is available anywhere? While installing my rebuilt engine and new Centerforce clutch I discovered that the seal in my cable is badly torn up.

Anyone?

If it isn't, you should be able to make one with a small piece of rubber gasket material and a hole punch. I made one once, leaked a little, but a lot less than what was in there to begin with.

MSA only lists the whole cables, so if it's available from Nissan, Chloe might be your best bet.

Originally posted by 2ManyZs

If it isn't, you should be able to make one with a small piece of rubber gasket material and a hole punch. I made one once, leaked a little, but a lot less than what was in there to begin with.

MSA only lists the whole cables, so if it's available from Nissan, Chloe might be your best bet.

Thanks, I have to contact her later this week about some other stuff so, I'll ask. If she can't get one, I'll try to make something. I'm not noticing any leak (yet), but I figure that seal is in there for a reason.