IGNORED

Starting a motor that has been sitting

drunkenmaster

I got it running today.

Took the plugs out and removed the rocker, i was happy to see everything was still looking fresh and lubed up, but i gave the cam a splash of oil anyhow.

Refitted the rocker and let the starter turn a few times with the plugs out, all sounded fine.

Drained the oil, topped it up with 20-50 gtx2, changed oil filter, refitted the plugs, she starts first crack. Started very nicely and had a nice smooth idle, was very impressed.

flushed the radiator and engine water passages a few times, topped her up with new coolant, fitted a new fuel filter and couldnt wait to take her around the block.

This thing walks all over my 280zx, made me regret selling it as i forgot how nice this motor was. Buyer comes in from interstate tomorrow night.

Originally posted by PrOxLaMuS©

20w-50????

ahhh!

Unfortunatly.. with older engines with higher miles....

heavy oil is BADD for the engine...

Thick oil such as 20W can actually BLOW the seals, on older high mileage engines and that wouldn't be a good thing.

10W is perfect for older Z's like our's.

When oil shopping, all the oils targetted at older motors were very thick/heavy and all the lighter oils noted for late model cars only. There were way too many choices.