IGNORED

Restoring a Z, where to start?

ZMan

I have a '73 240z that I bought new. I love this car but it has been sitting for several years now. I know this is a mortal sin but time and money (and some laziness :sleep: ) has let it collect dust. I want to restore it but I am not sure where to start. Body is basically good (some rear quarter damage due to uninsured motorist) engine quit running, not sure why but it did run. Interior needs work, seats are dry rotted, dash cracked. In short it needs work. I would like to do it right. Do I:

A. Restore it to original condition, color and such. Yes, I kept all the original parts including the hub caps.

B. Restore it as is with air dam, spoiler, and keep the existing color (black).

C. Suggestions from the audience.

I truly love this car which is why I have kept it all these years. Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks.

Sounds to me like you have many hours of enjoyment before you require an answer to your questions.You first get it running/dependable.Since it has been sitting for years count on this.Radiator hoses are poor /all vacuum lines are hard/rotten/gas tank internal rust/rubber brake lines can't be trusted/rust ,moisture in brake system/clutch siezed/clutch hose at slave cylinder rotten/rear brake wheel cylinders leak,can't be trusted,front disc siezed/contacts in ignition switch,relays have oxidized,Some may say I over kill.If you can't be damn sure the car is ALWAYS going to stop,why waste your time,money fixing it up?If you do, your future email will read.Want to restore 73Z.Need front end metal and hardware.Have Fun Daniel

Remember a stock pristine condition car costs costs and costs. They are great for taking to shows and you will get a abundant amount of compliments. I am sure you will be hesitant to take it everywhere because you will worry about somebody messing with it, at least I would. If you want a fun car to drive, equipped perhaps with bigger wheels, airdam, performance mods you are talking about a completely different car, usually less money too. To me, if you want a car that looks pristine, go stock. If you want to create something of your own, fun to drive, then go modified.

Take your time at deciding what you want. You will then be able to inventory what you need to change and how much it will cost. Many times the money will steer you into the right direction, at least for me!!!

I will add a couple more ideas to the ones you have gotten so far.

1. Decide exactly what you want to do with the car.

2. Decide where you can locate the parts necessary to do the job.

3. Decide how much of the work you will do yourself, or who will do it for you.

4. Get more than one estimate for any work you aren't doing yourself.

5. Are you willing to sacrifice the time and money it will take to FINISH the job? Not just start it and lose interest in when it gets to be more than you bargained for. (Been there, done that)

6. Are you taking the chassis somewhere to be painted? If so, remember, the more you take off the car, and the more you can do to make the job easier(fixing the little things) will save you a pile of money!

7. Anything you take off the car, TAG IT, AND BAG IT!! You will save yourself a lot of aggravation if you do this, you won't know how hard it is to find that one missing screw or clip, until you spend hours trying to find the right one.

8. Don't get frustrated! This is the one thing that has kept a lot of cars from being finished, and being sold in pieces to someone looking for a good deal.

9. Once you decide on what you want to do stick to it, changing your mind about something in the middle of the job is wasting time and money, most of us don't mind wasting time, but who likes wasting money?

10. Enjoy yourself, it's not a j-o-b!

P.S. I have been working on the same car for over a year and it still isn't ready to paint. So think about how it will look when it is finished, not what it looks like now.