IGNORED

buying 73 240 ?? Help

gator

I had one of these 20 years ago and re-built it. This one I am looking at has possible frame rail rust. How hard is it to rplace these? Cost ? This car comes with a parts car and has all history of pro rebuilt motor, newish paint, interior is abit rough but mostly there. It has a fold-back type sunroof that I dont like and am wondering how much this devalues the car and how much it would cost to have it replaced with original roof and if it is worth it? I am about to pay $3000 CAD for the car and the aprts car. Is this a good deal? I am going to make this deal in the next day or so so a quick reply from experienced people in the club would be great. Thank bruce

Full floor pans and frame rails from ZeddFindings will set you back approx. 400 bucks.. then, figure double that amount if you have to have it done professionally. More work you can do yourself the better...

Sunroofs do hurt the value a bit, since many of them leak or are a major cause of rust, plus, that hole in the roof weakends the uni-body slightly....Replacing it with steel is gonna be very costly since it's going to take a pretty good bodyman to do the job correctly.

3K with a parts car.. sounds a wee bit high, but it might be worth it, but without pictures it's really hard to tell. Depends on how much of the small stuff is still there and in useable condition, the little things can add up in a hurry when you are wanting to do the car right.

If the floor pans and/or frame rails are in bad enough shape that they need to be replaced, you really need to spend some time loking it over because it may have other rust that is hidden.. do a search here in the forums for rust and you should find many threads about where to look for rust.

Did I mention 3K Canadian? This car was a pro has a great motor, nice header and exaust system, great carbs, and I drove I today and all seems to be tight with brakes and tranny. Mild cam in motor too. The sun roof is about a 5 out of 10 in quality and is said not to leak but I dont like sunroofs and this one unfortunately is a vinel fold back type. Main thing about it is that it has some of the small stuff missing or not installed. Best thing about it is all the history, all numbers match up with original car, and is a very good driver.

What are these worth in better condition (not total restore). Is the originality ..numbers etc ..very important with these?

BTW .. this is a great site and I now have a renewed love for these cars. I had a 71 that I took completely apart when I was 16-18 and put it back together as best I could. It looked great! I will post pics. I still remember every thing about it. They are very easy to work on and great to drive. Thanks for help

Sounds like two parts cars and one with a great running gear. Sorry . H aving said that , if you are prepaired to do a lot of work on welding and fabercation , otherwise pass and keep looking. Rust repair is vary time consuming and costly . If you can TIG or MIG weld and have a shop to do it in great. The other option is to just drive it untill it gives up and in the mean time look for a good car with a sound body . frame rails are a tuff fix. I am with you about sun roofs, and 2many is right on about what he said of the car and the repair of the top. If the donor car has a good top that is a possability for parts , usually they cut the windshild posts and by the hatch . Best to have a custom body shop do this part. This project could easily double the cost you are buying the car for. :cry:

The last parts car I had met the final demise by having the top cut off and grafted back onto another z because of a terrible sunroof in an otherwise nice car that recieved the old roof. It can be done, but it is something that must be done by someone that can get it right and it will not be inexpensive. Matching numbers on a z car are not of much importance to a car in the condition you are describing IMO.

When I had a parts car in my deal, the parts car was more in the way than anything I could use, so I took the items I "might" use and stuffed them in storage then got rid of the parts car. Try and see your deal without the parts car, is it worth it? Does the good car depend on having a parts car to keep it going? I consider a parts car just icing on the cake for me, and a relief for the other owner to get rid of - if ya know what I mean?

:nervous: