IGNORED

Finally going back together!

Zvoiture

Originally posted by Zvoiture

Couldn't work on the car at ALL last night! Someone was saying "she hadn't seen me in a couple days...." Hell, I saw her at breakfast...what's the problem?

steve77

Hey Steve, Share some of your wine with her. When she's had enough to drift off for a nap, you can sneak out to the garage for a couple of hours.

just a thought.

Carl

Front is finished. Ready to roll. Rear suspension should be ready to come home mid week, so started on some miscellaneous tear-out in the rear half. Am thinking about a tank swap which may or not include a spare-tire-well removal. Dropped the tank and drained the gallon or so of apricot jelly (or was it orange marmalade?). Nasty. And this car was running! Found a disconnected electric fuel pump back there.... L24 that came out had a mechanical installed. Whilst dropping the tank, found another reason to swap tanks: The spider web of hoses wrapped around through the trunk and around the tank going to that 'recovery' or 'expansion' thingy in the quarter. What on earth is the function? While we are asking questions, got a couple more:

Did they BUILD the car around the filler neck/hose? Unless that thing was A LOT more flexible when new, they HAD to have welded the rear fender on with it installed.

When they balanced the driveshat at the factory, did they allow for 1/4" of undercoating being applied to one side?

FACT: R200's are a HECK of a lot easier to pull than R180's.

Is there any benefit to a rear-oriented rear sway bar? I have the option of either. The only thing I can think of is that it would make changing a diffy or driveshaft easier?

Could you safely mount a muffler UNDER a fuel tank?

My idea is to cut out the well, weld in a flat floor and install a ZX fuel tank (because it is long and flat, without the hump). Pros and cons. Center of gravity rises, but not more than installing one of the well cells. Bottom of tank will be well behind and up under the rear valence. Won't show from the rear and tons more ground clearance. Tank is larger/heavier (17 gal.) but no one says you have to FILL it. My ZX harness and gauges would be plug and play. ZX's have a top access panel in the trunk for the tank that holds the level thingy and sending unit. Very convenient.

But exhaust.... I would really like to run twice pipes out the center. Installing a flat, shallow tank up against the deck would give plenty of clearance for this, but i wanted to put a double tip muffler at the rear. It would be right under the center of the tank. Heat problem?

Starting to think about dropping the motor in. How much more difficult or easier is dropping it in with the tranny and header already on?

steve77

So, by loosening the clamp and undoing the retainer tab, you can pull the return line out and reverse it, so the warmed fuel returning from the rail is domped out into the tank and not directly onto the pick-up. Probably not a big deal, but seemed logical...... And very simple.

steve77

post-2047-14150793058779_thumb.jpg