IGNORED

Horn Pad model differences

BillD

I recently bought a horn pad from eBay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2430565931&category=33704

The pad arrived and is in beautiful shape but doesn't come close to fitting the steering wheel of my '73 240z. Does anyone know what it fits? I'd like to post it on eBay, but would like to be a little more accurate in my description.

My original pad looks good but is smaller, has "Datsun" on it (rather than the "Z" on the eBay pad), and has no (remaining) internal parts. I can make the horn work by shorting across the contacts with the pad off, but I'm looking to restore function without the help of a screwdriver.

What should I be looking for in a horn pad, or better yet, is there any way I can fix my original pad. I'm even willing to consider another switch on the steering wheel or column.

Thanks in advance,

Bill D.

Originally posted by BillD

I recently bought a horn pad from eBay.

The pad arrived and is in beautiful shape but doesn't come close to fitting the steering wheel of my '73 240z. Does anyone know what it fits? I'd like to post it on eBay, but would like to be a little more accurate in my description.

My original pad looks good but is smaller, has "Datsun" on it (rather than the "Z" on the eBay pad), and has no (remaining) internal parts.

Looks like you got a 260 or 280Z Horn Pad. I believe that you need to have a pad that matches the steering wheel that you have in your car.

ie 240 wheel and 240 Horn Pad, or 280 wheel and 280 Horn pad.

Originally posted by BillD

Agree that it's probably a 260z or 280z pad. Any way to tell them apart?

Actually, I'm not familiar with the 260 and 280 horn pads in detail, but I do know that they have the "Z" where the 240Z Horn pads came with "DATSUN" logo on them. The 240 pads are also smaller in diameter than the ones that came on 260/280Z's. (but you seem to already know about all that)

I'm fairly sure that the ebay pad you have is a '77/'78 type. From memory, the '74-'76 pad says "Datsun" but is quite a bit larger than the 240Z horn pad. So, all together there are 3 different pads from 70-78, and the one from ebay is the latest of the 3.

Thanks. Now I know which horn pad I have and how to describe the horn pad I want to a seller. (And a contribution to the general taxonomy of horn pads has been made.)

Does anyone have any ideas on a temporary or permanent kludge for my current non-functioning horn pad?

Bill Delaune

• 4 weeks later...

I finally bought a new horn pad from MSA. When I saw it, I realized that the plastic ring that everyone talks about was on the steering wheel hub in pieces. I dug all of the old pieces out (along with the tar-like material that was holding the mess together) and put the new one on. I really didn't think it would work because I couldn't figure how the circuit would be completed with the new horn pad. As I pressed it on the horn came alive and works fine.

I'm happy with the repair, but would love to know how the circuit works in there. I can short it into working by connecting two metal rings that fit under the plastic ring. I can't see how the little metal "tail" coming out of the center of the horn button would complete anything or that pressure would bring those rings together. This isn't earth shattering, but I'd just like to know how this works.

Thanks in advance,