IGNORED

T5 Swap into early Z

blitzkraig

• 2 months later...

" I figured that I could probably have the front assembly from the T5 driveshaft welded onto the stock driveshaft in place of the stock front assembly when I get it resized."

Are you talking about the front assembly from the T-5 Driveshaft welded onto the stock 240Z 4-speed Driveshaft?

You know when you replace U joints the two pieces come apart? I was thinking of taking the front part from the T-5 driveshaft and using it in place of the stock piece when replacing the U joint. Turns out the shop I took the driveshaft to was able to just order a whole new front piece with the correct spline.

Thanks ,Good info. A couple of questions. Am I to assume the t5 will go into a 72/73 without those issues? Also you said stock clutch.Was that stock for a 240 or stock for a t5.The pilot bushing size did not change? Thanks. your work looks good!

Not sure about the fit in a 72/73 since the tranny crossmembers and center consoles are different. I stuck the stock 240 clutch in because the one I got with the T5 looked a little messed up. All I had to do was swap over the pilot bushing from the stock 4 speed to the T5. If you do this swap be sure to use the stock 240 clutch fork since it's adjustable, I forgot but it still works. Everything has been working great so far, the only annoyance is a small teaspoonful of tranny fluid under the car when it's parked in the same spot for a couple days.

• 5 months later...

Hey the link that blitzcraig put here for the 5 speed swap into a series one is dead, anyone know where I can get another overall view of this process?

My 4 speed appears to have bit it over the weekend, was popping out of second gear, and then very difficult to get in any gear, save for fourth.

(is it ironic that when this happened I had driven my Z to look at a low serial number 70 for sale??? anyone wanting info on this car, in spokane, send me a PM)

Anyway, i managed to get home , the car had been making "wooshing" noise when I let out the clutch in neutral.

I understand i may have modify my console to put the 5 speed into my series one. Im not real sure i want screw up the orignal console though...

I may just opt to stay with my four speed...

Yes that's actually what i suspected, although in this case the noise was when I would let the clutch out rather than push it in, anyway it sounded just like when i had the same problem in a 71 corolla...

Anyway, anyone know more about a good site for the 5 to 4 speed swap in connection with a series one? I dont want to radically alter the interior, so if that means swapping out for the series 2 console, i think i'll just stick to the four speed.