IGNORED

Ford 9" Rear End

Depends I guess on what engine you plan on using. If your gonna install a big V8 then you'd probably look into one. However Nissan made some good diff's through the years and the R200 with an LSD kit should hold up a fair amount of abuse.

I don't recall much on a ford 9" diff being used in Z's not that it's impossible just better alternatives.

Besides you'd probably loose a bit of power turning that thing.:classic:

It's been done before. The main problem is all the chassis reinforcement that has to be done to mount the locating links as the unibody wasn't designed to be used as a suspension mounting point that locates the rear end. You end up almost having to rebuild the entire rear clip to locate the rear, which in the long run would probably end up adding a significant amount of weight.

Hot Rod magazine did a 240 many years ago with a 9" rear and a V-8. I've still got the magazine around here somewhere.... maybe I can dig it up and scan the pics of the work they did to mount the rear.

that would do the job or purchasing a quaife would definetly do the job + it would be warrantied and you wouldnt have to go threw so much to make it work.

another option ive seen and it seems to fit and work well is the corvette IRS rear suspension.

there is a guy over at hybridZ.org that has done that to his 10 sec street driven Z!

Why not look at another independent rear diff re Jag or even the holden commodore diff out of a Vt would have to easier than going the ford 9" way

But how much power you talking about putting through the r200 are one strong diff Ive been running a r180 lsd behind a v8 for years without a problem

And theres so hi hp 300zx and 200sx running r200 diffs

Mick

Jag seems overly expensive and difficult at least the Jag diff I saw posted didn't do anything for me. A holden diff would be fine if I lived in Aus but I don't so the chances of finding one would be small. I have thought of taking one from a 300zx, I just want to make sure that what I am getting will be able to hold the power of a supercharged LT1. Since I'm going the chev route on the engine maybe I should look into a chev diff, thanks for the suggestions.

Having done the ford 9 swap in my 46 chevy truck heres what I found.The ford is easy to change the "pumpkin head' which changes the rear gear ratio.G.M. requires shims and all kinds of exact measuring.NOT a non-pro swap.The brake lines must be custom made to fit datsun/ford(GM/ford in my case).The emer. brake must cables also must be adapted.The drive shaft must also be customized.The last pain is that you must now carry TWO spare tires!I found uni-lug rims that do gm or ford.I doubt there is a datsun/ford.Remember each change you make alters two things at a minimum downstream.