IGNORED

Questions Regarding RB26DETT Tranny

KaosMan

What Skyline tranny is needed for a RWD RB26DETT swap into a 280z? I've searched as best as I could, and am unclear on which tranny I can use. The places I've found online have the RB26DETT & tranny from the same car, but don't say if its AWD, RWD, etc.

I'm assuming I will need the RB25DETT RWD tranny to go with the engine. There is a shop up in Canada that sells this hybrid setup for $4900 USD, is this too steep or about right?

Also, isn't the front diff built into the engine oil pan? Is there any aftermarket pan replacements if thats the case? Or can I use a pan off of the RB25DETT?

Thanks for any help anyone can provide!

Hi All,

there is lots of info on RB engine swaps into zeds on www.hybridz.org so try doing a search there.

You will need either a RB20DET or RB25DET gearbox, both of these are RWD and there isnt such an engine as a RB25DETT.

The RB25DET gearbox is much wider/larger/stronger than the RB20DET one, but as such you will need to modify the "ears" in the zeds transmission tunnel to be able to mount the gearbox.

The oil sump needs to be from a RWD RB series engine. This will need to be modified (cut and shut etc) to clear the zeds steering rack and also the oil pick up mounting point on the RB26DETT block. As the RB26DETT block is double drilled, there is no problem to bolting on the RWD metal sump!

Hope that helps,

Cuong

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...