IGNORED

Exhuast setup: Twice Pipes and 3into2 header.. any setbacks???

I've got to put my 2 cents in on this one. I read alot of posts on the Forum (including the archives) before finally deciding on my exhaust system last year. The biggest discussions were always 2 1/4" vs 2 1/2" pipe. (And some VERY strong opinions for and against each setup)

In the end, I decided to buck the trends and be different. Bottom line is that everyone likes their setup for different reasons...and everyone has a different opinion on what's 'too loud'.

I went with a 3 into 2 header and twice pipes. On top of that, I customized it to 'true' dual exhaust by eliminating the 'collector' pipe and running 3 cylinders into each pipe. (Which, by the way, is 1 3/4")

The result? A system that I think sounds spetacular and a very noticible power increase at the top end. (And NO resination) I have had no negative comments about the system....in fact, most people say either 'that's what that car SHOULD sound like' or inquiries about what is under the hood?

As for the glasspacks 'burning out? Yeah, it's going to happen eventually....but, I also know people who have run several years without that happening. Plus, they are fairly inexpensive...and MSA assured me they could bring the muffler in seperate to the system. Further to that, someone once wrote on this forum, that an Austin Healy muffler (dual inlet, dual outlet) would fit as a 'quieter replacement. Don't know if this is true or not. as I never looked into it.

I would suggest that if you want to go this route that you price out the glasspacks seperately and see if it's worthwhile getting the 'pipes' done custom. With the modifications I made, it WOULD have been much cheaper. (Live and Learn)

Bottom line, have some fun with this. The exhaust is often a big part of your car's personality; what do YOU ultimately want?

Of course there are performance advantages to each system.....and everyone thinks their's is better. 2 1/2 vs 2 1/4....header vs manifold.....chevy vs ford?????????

Take it all in.....sleep on it.....dream about it.....take a deep breath and make your decision.

Good Luck!!

Zedguy

a shop can make me an "custom twice pipes exhaust" for under $139.95? MSA charges $139.95 for the entire exhuast setup (except the headers) and it would be $14.34 for shipping.

You would be around the same if not less by the time you put the + on there for getting your twice pipes installed.

Sure you could clamp them on but I hope you didnt just pay over $150 just to clamp it on :ermm:.

With glass packs around $30 each X 2 = $60 now a Y pipe and chrome tips go $20 theres $80 labor and pipe shoud be maybe $50 - $80 so $130 - $160 . Sure I think they can and you can get sound, pipe size, and tip style choices

Zedguy is right. A true twice-pipes system will indeed eliminate the Y-pipe and use the double outlet (6-2) header. 'Standard' (1 3/4 or 1 7/8) pipe is more than adequate for this setup. And...bullet mufflers WILL wear out. How soon is debatable.

Does anyone make a double inlet/double outlet muffler?

And, just in case anyone is tempted, a TRUE twice-pipes system (ala works cars)--with three cylinders dumping into a pipe running straight out to the rear center of the car--IS SO UNTRUCKINGUNBELIEVABLEMINDNUMBING LOUD your teeth hurt. Don't try it--unless you trailer your car.

steve77(well over 90 dBa)

Oh...and about the cost thing.....Yes, a decent muffler shop will fabricate you an awsome exhaust for 100-150$. Of course, that is welded and with those cool urethane mounts welded here and there.

Home-made system? Let's do some word-association:

Clamps

Swages

Pacesetter

disposal of existing system

existing mounts

rust

jackstands

steve77

The one thing not being discussed, is that most muffler shops are incapable of producing mandrel bent piping.

My system is welded and I am fabricating the segment from the header to the duals, cutting off the collecter which starts the duals like Zedguy. Just buy the prebent segments and weld it up.

ecp48