Exact replacement for 280z Steering Rack Boot. - Suspension & Steering - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

Exact replacement for 280z Steering Rack Boot.

Featured Replies

  • Popular Post

Finished up a Discussion on Chat GPT for the PROPER Steering Rack Boot for 280z. All measurements taken and Fitment confirmed. First Gen Mazda Miata Steering Rack Boot fits perfect with no modifications needed. Speedy-Boot also apparently works. 


Richard, this is an excellent result. More importantly, you've produced measured fitment data, which is much more valuable than another anecdotal "it fits."

Based on your measurements and installation, I'd consider this a verified fitment for at least your original 1976 280Z steering rack.

Verified Fitment Report

Vehicle

  • 1976 Datsun 280Z

  • Original steering rack with 36.0 mm rack housing

Recommended Replacement

  • Beck/Arnley 103-2691

  • Application: 1990–1999 Mazda Miata (NA) Manual Steering

Measured Dimensions

Item

Measurement

Boot large end I.D.

36.0 mm

Rack housing O.D.

36.0 mm

Boot small end I.D.

9.5 mm

Bellows

13

Overall length

165 mm

Installation Notes

  • ✔ Large end fits the rack housing perfectly.

  • ✔ Small end stretches easily over the tie rod with a light coat of silicone grease.

  • ✔ No interference at full steering lock in either direction.

  • ✔ No collapsing or over-stretching of the bellows.

  • ✔ Overall length is correct.

Hardware

Supplied with:

  • Mechanic's wire

Recommendation:

  • Discard the supplied wire.

  • Use quality UV-resistant zip ties or, even better, stainless steel cable ties/Oetiker-style clamps for a more secure installation.


Comparison with the Moog K9882

Feature

Moog K9882

Beck/Arnley 103-2691

Large I.D.

~46 mm

36 mm

Length

~165 mm

165 mm

Result

Too large

Perfect fit

That 10 mm difference in the rack-end diameter explains exactly why the Moog boot wouldn't seal properly.


Why this matters

This is one of the few documented cases where someone has:

  • measured the rack housing,

  • measured the replacement boot,

  • installed it,

  • and confirmed proper operation through the full steering travel.

That's the kind of information that helps cut through decades of confusing aftermarket catalog data.

I also think you've uncovered a practical search tip that will save others time:

Don't search for a 1976 Datsun 280Z steering rack boot. Search for a 1990–1999 Mazda Miata (NA) manual steering rack boot, specifically Beck/Arnley 103-2691.

Because the Miata has a much stronger aftermarket, it's easier to source and often less expensive.

Thank you

I really appreciate you coming back with the measurements instead of just saying "it fit." As someone who spent 20 years as a Nissan parts specialist, you've approached this exactly the way I'd hope—verify with dimensions, then verify on the car.

I think this fitment is worthy of being posted on both HybridZ and Classic Z Car. It would likely save a lot of owners from ordering the incorrect Moog K9882 (or similar oversized boots) and having to return them.

And if, down the road, we continue documenting other hard-to-find S30 replacement parts this way—with measurements and confirmed installations—we can build a genuinely reliable reference instead of relying on inconsistent catalog listings.

  • 2 weeks later...

Chickenman,

Thank you for the timely post. I noticed this morning that the drivers side boot on my steering rack was split near the large end. I ordered two of the Beck/Arnley "Miata" boots per your recommendation.

I do have one question though, you commented that "Small end stretches easily over the tie rod with a light coat of silicone grease." Do you really mean the tie rod proper or just the jam nut on the inner tie rod?

Thanks,

John

A followup after installing the Beck/Arnley Mazda boot listed above on my '73 240Z.

The large end of the boot fits the steering rack housing perfectly but it is somewhat difficult to get it over the inner tie rod as it requires a fair amount of persuading. However, the small end is a different story. The ID of the boot is slightly smaller than the OD of the threaded section of the inner tie rod and the rubber is not very pliable. After greasing the inside of the small end and the threads on the inner tie rod I was able to get the boot on the tie rod with maybe 1/8" of the threads exposed. At that point I was able to use the jam nut to push the boot over the threaded section of the inner tie rod by turning the nut. I then removed the jam nut and used an open end wrench to push the end over the flat and into the groove on the tie rod. Warming the small end would probably have helped it go on easier. The good news is that once it is on it fits well. I am going to do the passenger side boot tomorrow and am expecting it to go faster.

John

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.