Hard to start then drives great - Page 3 - Help Me !! - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

Hard to start then drives great

Featured Replies

Once you strip the wire back you will probably find green corrosion that runs anywhere from 1/8 to 1/4 back on the wire.

  • Author
22 minutes ago, Yarb said:

Once you strip the wire back you will probably find green corrosion that runs anywhere from 1/8 to 1/4 back on the wire.

When I went through the large ECU connector test using the efi bible, the temp sensor value came out around what the air temperature was in the garage. Do you think it still could be that wire even if the car runs perfectly after a hard start?

All I can tell you about is my experience going down rabbit holes. Rebuilding the entire harness connections was the saving grace for me to move on in a positive direction. There are many other variables but this was the major success for me. I crimped and soldered each connection and got rid of the corrosion. There were other issues at hand but this was the major hurdle.

  • Author
2 minutes ago, Yarb said:

All I can tell you about is my experience going down rabbit holes. Rebuilding the entire harness connections was the saving grace for me to move on in a positive direction. There are many other variables but this was the major success for me. I crimped and soldered each connection and got rid of the corrosion. There were other issues at hand but this was the major hurdle.

Fair enough 😭

  • Author
On 6/23/2026 at 9:16 PM, Yarb said:

Once you strip the wire back you will probably find green corrosion that runs anywhere from 1/8 to 1/4 back on the wire.

Gotcha - so you just snipped the connector off, crimped on the new one and called it a day?

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.

Take a few pics of every angle of the existing connector. Snip one wire at a time. Strip,clean,crimp the new connector. Install new pin in the corresponding position of the replacement connector. I soldered mine your preference on that. Don’t forget to put the boot on first…

  • 3 weeks later...
  • Author
On 6/25/2026 at 10:31 AM, Yarb said:

Take a few pics of every angle of the existing connector. Snip one wire at a time. Strip,clean,crimp the new connector. Install new pin in the corresponding position of the replacement connector. I soldered mine your preference on that. Don’t forget to put the boot on first…

I ended up purchasing the pre-wired connector from thezstore and then using those solder/heat shrink sleeves to join it to the harness. Besides the pins having corrosion in the plastic plug itself (the AFM's teeth were fine), I had to keep snipping further and further down the harness until I got to copper wires without any green to join the new AFM connector to.

The car now starts VERY quickly and has an incredibly capable torque curve to the point where I'd forget to shift because there was torque wherever you were on the tach. I know everyone swaps out their injector/temp sensor connectors, but folks should really not overlook replacing this one. I've had the car over 10 years now and it has never ever felt this capable.

Swap this connector.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.