Wiring for electric fuel pump issue - Electrical - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

Wiring for electric fuel pump issue

Featured Replies

Hello,

Just picked up a 1971 240z. The car was not running when purchased. The vehicle already had an electric fuel pump installed. Found the pump not running, but it had voltage, but it was powered by a line ran directly to the battery (not ignition on.) I replaced the pump and wired to the green wire in the fuel level sensor harness. However I found no voltage to the green wire. I traced the wire and tested continuity at the passenger kick well at the bullet connector and it was good. Traced that to behind the heater control panel in the dash. The connector (two wires-one green , one black) behind the dash was unplugged. Where is this connector supposed to be plugged in? I can not find any wires or the connector where this should be plugged in. I just ordered a wiring diagram for the car but any assistance is greatly appreciated.

20260131_143932.jpg

20260131_143928.jpg

  • Author

Nevermind, kept researching and I guess this plug is not plugged in from the factory. I will wire it up.

Another, safer thing to do is to get an inertia switch to go with that connector and wire the switch to the circuit and mount it to the firewall. If you get into an accident, the inertia switch will cut power to the pump.

  • Author

Thanks for the link ans advice. I was thinking about adding a oil pressure cut off switch, is an inertia switch a better route?

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.

It's less wiring to use an inertia switch. You do have to watch out, though. Many inertia switches like this one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08BCJJYGC are wired to Normally Open. You have to move the center wire to the end. That can be tricky if you don't have a good de-pinning tool like this: https://www.vintageconnections.com/products/2-8mm-terminal-extraction-tool?_pos=4&_sid=72ecbc10d&_ss=r (or if you think you'll be doing more wiring, you can get a set: https://www.vintageconnections.com/products/terminal-extraction-tools?_pos=1&_sid=72ecbc10d&_ss=r)

17 hours ago, SteveJ said:

It's less wiring to use an inertia switch. You do have to watch out, though. Many inertia switches like this one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08BCJJYGC are wired to Normally Open. You have to move the center wire to the end. That can be tricky if you don't have a good de-pinning tool like this: https://www.vintageconnections.com/products/2-8mm-terminal-extraction-tool?_pos=4&_sid=72ecbc10d&_ss=r (or if you think you'll be doing more wiring, you can get a set: https://www.vintageconnections.com/products/terminal-extraction-tools?_pos=1&_sid=72ecbc10d&_ss=r)

That last link is to the same tool as the second link rather than the set you intended to link.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.