IGNORED

Help needed ...ALAN (HS-30-H)

240znz

Seriously from those photo's it looks like a great car, not perfect but fairly original and looked after.

BTW all Z's had a Nissan OHC stamp on the engine except the earlier ones said Nissan 2400CC you can see one in my gallery.

:classic:

The engine block looks startlingly blue. I know this is the correct colour but it looks too clean compared to the remainder of the engine bay - has the engine been replaced? Has it been cleaned recently to remove evidence of oil leaks? On the other hand, photos can be deceptive...

The 5-speed badge does not suprise me, especially if the car came from Australia. I have seen Australian-delivered 240Zs that have "Full Automatic" badges on the hatch. These may have been added by the local dealer, especially if the car was recieved in a "knocked-down" state from the manufacturer.

Tell us how you go...

Hi James ( 240znz ),

Actually, I pretty much agree with Gav - it does not look all that bad.

Gav is right about the cam cover; a car with that VIN should have the "NISSAN 2400 OHC" version.

I think halz made a good point about the engine block colour, as it does look quite recently done. You should ask the seller about this and get the full story on it. There's a possibility that its not the original engine, but as long as you are intending to change or uprate it this is probably not going to worry you.

It should indeed have the 5-speed transmission ( the FS5C71-A type ).

I'm intrigued about the original colour. If I were you I would try to ascertain the original Factory colour ( maybe have a look at the area behind the rear seats or the spare wheel well? ) as I can't quite make out what it is from the under-bonnet shots.

Most of all though, check out the VIN number that is stamped on the firewall sheetmetal ( above the brake and clutch master cylinders - you might need to move some wires or tubing and look closely ). Make sure that it is indeed "HS30" and not "S30" - as there is a very remote possibility that it was originally a Japanese domestic market car that was privately imported. It could have had an L24 put in it to replace the L20 - but the news that it has its E31 head supplied off the car seems to discount this possibility. Anyway, its something I would be aware of as the early S30 Fairlady Z-L in its top spec was VERY similar to the early HS30.

I was very encouraged by the photos. If that car was offered for sale in the UK I'd be off to see it like a shot. If you find its solid enough and honest enough, and you can get it at the price you want, then I say you will have done well.

Good luck and keep us informed.

Alan T.

Thanks for the encouraging news guys.

Yes the engine has afresh coat of paint. I'll ask him about that tomorrow. The vendor has indicated that the rust spot on the drivers side sill could be quite big. How strutural is that part of the unibody?

There is also some rust directly behind the drivers door but in front of the rear wheel arch. From memory I have seen some posts on replacing this part but I remember that a patch had to made from scratch...any ideas?

When the head was removed (due to water leak), the head was replaced with a E88 of a 260. Maybe the rocker cover was also used...might be in luck to get the original cover. He replaced it with a mild cam grind, so it should be a little shifter. This does make me a little dubious as it could have been screwed.

Dash has two cracks in it. Console has been recovered some time ago. Carpet is shot. So all in all, it sounds like a fair example of a early Zed.......

The fever...oh the fever....it's about to be abated.

post-1608-14150792803492_thumb.jpg

Yes Ben, I agree with you that it LOOKS like it has very little rust, but I haven't seen this car in the flesh....so it will be interesting to see what it looks like underneath and the rails.

The engine has been rebuilt. This done some 4 years ago when the head was changed. Since then the car has only ticked over 120miles and that explains why the enigine paint is still gleaming. This does make me a little taken a back. Why would you go to all the trouble of rebuilding a engine, change the head and then only drive it for 120 miles...some more stories to had here I suspect.

Good news is that I checked out the car at the post office. Crazy law in this country lets you find out the current resistered owners name, address, the vehicles VIN, when the resistration expires and how many owners its had...all that for 90pence/$US1.00/$AUS1.80....magic. The document states that the VIN is indeed HS30-00352.

Apart from the obvious rust trouble spots...what other things should a really look into?

I'm also toying with the idea of driving it back 600miles to home. If I were to do this, I think that a new fuel filter and oil filter would be a wise investment...what else should I think about doing or should I just get it put on a transporter????