IGNORED

Urethane bushings

Must say im complexed by this discussion everything you read says the more rigid controlable your suspension the better the handling I would guess nissan only used rubber when zeds were built because it was cheaper than urathane its only in the last 10 years that urathane bushings have become cheapa nd easy to get that they are being used more by manufaturers Im sure that nissan woul build zeds with it today the ride quality is better the handling is better they last longer not easily ruined by oils so all round much better

I would say most flexing in bodies is through the bodies not being strengthed to take horsepower upgrades When i rebuilt my car I fully seam welded every seam in the car not flex in my zed

(of course im told ill never repair it if it has a a major accident but thats a risk i have taken)

Mick

I use urethane on my 240Z 6/7 73, on all positions on both sway bars. On both steering rack mounts and the steering shaft joint and both radius rod adjuster ends for the street. I also run all four srtut urethane bump stops. Highly recommended, go get them you wont regret it

my 2c

Steve:classic:

With those pivot positions, I went with "Factory New". When I installed my fresh R200, the shop techs told me that factory rubber units for those positions was best then they showed me why with demos of condition and movement from race/road/and rally use. Reason + the existing system works and is not subject to early failure, after viewing my original items I considered that opinion as on my rubber units only light distortion was present with zero movement from original production.I installed as stated circa 1991 never had to revisit these pivots.

So for the rear go rubber.

Cheers

Steve :classic

• 1 year later...

This is a piece of information that I picked up from the JTR conversion manual so im not sure if it applies here but they said that removing the rear sway bar is good because it will keep a high horsepower z car from spinning its inside rear tire during hard cornering. But this is for a V-8 Z mind you :-)

sjcurtis,

I'd be keen to see these demonstrations you were shown? Or atleast a description thereof?

I will be going full urethane in the rear, but my car is more track orientated. For a street car I can't see it making half a lick of difference either way.

Dave

thehelix112,

Dave the demonstrations I was shown was interestingly enough a comparison of one season running Sydney Oran park in modified production and sport categories for track only cars and a visuals of factory rubber assemblies pulled from other cars of various histories cars that had been wrecked out and my own car in tear down. On this particular car up on the hoist with the struts disconnected from the swing arms the rate of effort to move the swing arms was vastly different. after full tear down visual galling and distortion on one side was evident do not know why and all the cups where nice and shiny. Even the old stuff in my own car seemed better so I went with factory rubber again. Still only use my car for street though no problems, with race application you may have different loading on your car to the car I saw, that will maybe give you a more even effect.

hope this will help

Steve