IGNORED

Factory fog light relocated horn mounts

dspillman

The extended horn mount brackets were a short-lived phenomenon related to the nascent factory fitment of an air conditioning condenser. The mounts moved the horns further away from the radiator and also acted as the lower mounts for a condenser.

The 74820-E4201 front (radiator support) crossmember was supplied as a 'universal' replacement part for a period, and it carried a couple of hermaphroditic details that were not usually required on the cars they were being fitted to. If you look to the left on your above photo you can see a double recess tab spotwelded to the front face of the crossmember. This was the mount point for the bottom of the 432's air filter box, included on the E4201 crossmember because of its 'universal' nature.

74820-scan-1.jpgR-Drive-82-1.jpg

Edited by HS30-H

I haven’t seen a 432 in person, or a picture showing a downward view in front of the radiator to confirm or deny what actually attaches to the 2 center mounts…   Was there  a oil cooler mounted in front on the 432? 
      The mount itself is  constructed quite robustly.     

I did search for a conversation of this, but kept coming back to fog lights.

David

1 hour ago, dspillman said:

I haven’t seen a 432 in person, or a picture showing a downward view in front of the radiator to confirm or deny what actually attaches to the 2 center mounts…

There are two 'fingers' protruding from the bottom of the 432's air filter box, and they slip into the double recess tab. The upper fixings are captive studs which pass through pre-drilled holes on the RH core support.

This is what the 'fingers' look like without the double recess tab they fit into:

432-Air-Filter-Box-1.JPG

1 hour ago, dspillman said:

Was there  a oil cooler mounted in front on the 432? 

432-R got an oil cooler as standard equipment (it was a Sports Option extra for the 'ordinary' 432) but that sat on the core support in front of the radiator, offset to the left of the car, with two 'feet' that bolted to pre-drilled holes in the core support. There were two tab fixings at the top which were screwed into pre-drilled holes underneath the top lip of the core support.

There was also a factory oil cooler option for the L-series engined cars, but that was longitudinally mounted in the centre of the core support and sat on two inverted L-shaped brackets which bolted through (again) pre-drilled holes in the core support crossmember. 

However, the brackets you are asking about are not oil-cooler related, or fog lamp related either. They are definitely the mounts for a nascent aircon condenser radiator which doubled as re-locators for the horn units. 

• Like 1

Thank you for the response!! 

Excellent, as always, I have enjoyed your responses on this site for the last 20 years plus.

I guess I need to discard the thought of claiming the one lefthand drive 432 that made it to the states!!😁.

David

• Thanks 1