IGNORED

5/1970 240Z 03802

SpeedRoo

Narrowed wheel selection down to Slot Mags or Libres. My August 1970 240Z came with Libres, which were made in Oregon at the American Racing foundry in Portland. As "08802" has been an Oregon car it's whole life, still has the original registration, I think the Libres are best kept for it. So looks like Slot Mags for "03802", just have to work out who made the two I already have and match them.

Been sorting out my parts stash to see what I need to source to complete the change back to original. I need some of the early seat hinges (Type 1) with the round adjusters, seems the base cushion and seat back have the same part numbers but the adjusters/hinges are different from mid 1971 onwards. In need of the early 4 speed gearbox, I have 2 of the later versions as spares if anyone needs one or wants to swap! Also after one early seat belt, I have the passenger side but not the drivers (PO fitted a harness). Date code is 4 1970. The search continues.

image.jpeg

Great Black Friday discounts on genuine Nissan parts today. Stocked up on bushes/bearings etc. from Courtesy Nissan and ZCardepot. Can make sure all the suspension bushes on "Twisty" are factory rubber and all the bearings in the engine rebuild are all Nissan parts along with the NOS OEM Datsun gasket set.

On 11/22/2022 at 10:54 PM, SpeedRoo said:

Yes I need the headlight scoops, the ones on 03802 are metal for some reason and have tabs for perspex covers. Also after the Koito headlights, may fit the upgraded H4 Koitos. I like your idea for the Libres.

12-J42702_1600x.jpg?v=1621031849

I installed the Koito H4 housings with Auxito H4 LED bulbs in my 260Z a couple of days ago. image.jpeg

I had been using the Auxito bulbs with a set of H4 housings I picked up from Black Dragon many years ago, but I didn't like the appearance.

3 minutes ago, SpeedRoo said:

Thanks @SteveJ appreciate the feedback. Any tricks to fitting them or were they plug and play?

They are essentially plug and play. You will need to back out the screws on the retaining ring a fair amount to get everything lined up right for reassembly. 

Progress on engine dismantling, everything came apart easily. No broken bolts or anything seized in place. Block stripped down to be boiled out before painting in Datsun "Blue".

Started work on rear brakes. Have new Nissan/Datsun hardware and NOS Datsun Akebono brake shoes. Rear hubs disassembled and NOS Datsun bearings prepared to be pressed in place.

Question, should the rear inner hub flange be black or gold zinc plated like in the attached picture?

image.jpeg

Edited by SpeedRoo
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Picked up a load of bits off a smashed up 1970 240Z. Complete steering column and early steering wheel with horn button. Early ashtray, had a broken main body but good lid. Combined it with one I had that had a good body but damaged lid so I have a complete unbroken one.

Fitted the light switch, indicator switch and steering wheel today. The horn button had a crack in the plastic locating ring, but fixed it easily using some amazing JB Weld blue light activated instant glue (amazing stuff). Also got an early radio antenna with the pointy tip. Slowly returning the 240Z to original spec.

J-B Weld 33301 SuperWeld Light-Activated Instant Glue, Multi-Surface

• Like 2

On 12/5/2022 at 6:10 PM, SpeedRoo said:

Progress on engine dismantling, everything came apart easily. No broken bolts or anything seized in place. Block stripped down to be boiled out before painting in Datsun "Blue".

Started work on rear brakes. Have new Nissan/Datsun hardware and NOS Datsun Akebono brake shoes. Rear hubs disassembled and NOS Datsun bearings prepared to be pressed in place.

Question, should the rear inner hub flange be black or gold zinc plated like in the attached picture?

image.jpeg

As removed from my 6/71 car that lived in AZ for an unknown amount of time, and was subsequently stored (non-operational) in a garage near Denver CO for over 25 years.  

IMG_20201229_212001.jpg  IMG_20201229_212016.jpg

So, painted black from the factory.

Edited by inline6
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Have the block soaking in Evaporust for a few days, dissolving any rust left inside the water jacket after pressure washing. Stripped the block of any old paint so back to bare cast iron. Have all the pieces ready for the rebuild including Nissan/Made in Japan bearings, NOS Japanese made gasket set. All the nuts and bolts off the engine have been cleaned/derusted/wire brushed and replated ready for refitting. Just need to soda blast the alloy front cover, cylinder head and cam cover. The 4 screw carbs have been stripped and put through the ultrasonic cleaner ready for reassembly with replated fittings. Can't wait to see what it looks like reassembled. Meanwhile the gearbox is getting new seals and a good cleaning.

• Like 2