IGNORED

Carpet installation : New product Prevents Slipping

zKars

Recently we purchased some household area rugs from “Ruggable”. Most of their products are designed to be used on smooth hard surfaces, so they have come up with an underlay (they call it the “Pad”) that is rubberized and sticky on the back that prevents slipping on the hard floor, and has what can only be described as hook side “velcro” on the top side that sticks to the underside of their rugs, effectively locking the rug to the floor.  It’s very thin, about and 1/8” (3mm).

When I started working with it to lay down our new rug, I found it very frustrating to get the large rug to both keep this fancy underlay aligned with the floor AND the rug smoothly stuck down to the velcro like underlay. Smoothing out wrinkles moved the underlay and vise versa. Making it worse, the rug was large and I needed two sheets of the underlay, which had to be tightly aligned to each other.

Sometime during this fight, I began thinking, “this stuff is astoundingly good at its job to the point of frustration” but it also struck me that it might be the answer to a problem I have with keeping rugs in place in the Datsun! 

I don’t think I’m the only one with annoyingly migrating rugs. I’ve tried spray gluing down the underlay, then glueing the rug to the underlay, but it always works loose. It’s clear why the stock top rug had those welded in hooks on the floor under the seat front and slots in the rugs to hold them in place.

So I tried using this Ruggable sticky pad stuff and so far, I’m amazed at how well it works. I use it between the foil faced sound deadening I used and the top rug (with or without its sound deadening cushion) . I do spray glue the back of the rubber pad to make it stay in place to the foil, but I’m not sure I have to. The velcro upper faces sticks fantastic to the back of the rug.

• Like 2

Here is a link to the product. 

https://ruggable.com/products/classic-rug-pad?size=4x6

It ain’t cheap, the 4x6 size ($79 USD) is good for the front and behind/under the seats, but you need another one for the hatch area if wanted to use it there to.

Anyway, great product that both grabs the floor and the rug at the same time.

ECB87413-CBB2-4483-818B-740EB96DCB38.png

Edited by zKars
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...

Ruggable is sending me a sample piece to try out. My replacement carpet slides around and I could see it getting caught under the brake at some point. 

If Nissan sold this car today, I think it would be recalled for the carpet being a safety hazard.

Thanks for posting this find.

Jeff