IGNORED

Toyota front brake pads noise

Blitzed

Hi All,

When coasting can hear a rattle in the front of car after further inspection it's the front brake pads in the Toyota calipers. The pads have a slight play up and down, under vehicle weight and non-braking conditions they're moving as the rotor turns. Louder when I start to drive and the brakes are cold, quieter when the brakes are hot but still moving. 

Have others experienced this noise with the Toyota front brake conversion? Any fix to the issue?  No tabs to bend on the pad shim / backing plates. New pads only 300 miles. 

Thanks. 

1 hour ago, Blitzed said:

Hi All,

When coasting can hear a rattle in the front of car after further inspection it's the front brake pads in the Toyota calipers. The pads have a slight play up and down, under vehicle weight and non-braking conditions they're moving as the rotor turns. Louder when I start to drive and the brakes are cold, quieter when the brakes are hot but still moving. 

Have others experienced this noise with the Toyota front brake conversion? Any fix to the issue?  No tabs to bend on the pad shim / backing plates. New pads only 300 miles. 

Thanks. 

I put the Toyota 4 piston calipers with the 300ZX vented rotors on my race Z . It's a pretty noisy environment, so I wouldn't know if they were rattling or not.

There is a stainles steel spring that should be nstalled. Each end is tucked under the pins that hold the pads in place, and at a couple places inbetween the spring pushes down on the backing plates of the pads. Do you have those in place?

• Like 1

Racer X

No, inspected the back of caliper, no anti rattle springs in place. Just the rod retainer spring (on back side of caliper) connecting and holding the pad rods. missing the spring pushing down on the backing plate. 

Found the springs replacements on-line, they actually call them "anti rattle springs".  Toyota requires one per caliper (bottom of each caliper), couple of YouTube video's suggesting to add an additional spring on the top as well. Ordered 4. 

Thank you for the info. 

• Like 2