IGNORED

Brake Drum Issue?

Gav240z

Hi guys recently I've noticed a strange noise coming from the left hand rear of the car. (Passenger side on a HS30).

It happens when I'm slowing down especially if I have to stop quickly. It's like a grinding noise and I suspect it's either the Universal joint(s) or the brake drum is so worn down it's now just grinding metal and therefore when i hit the brakes hard it uses the drum more and causes this sound.

I have not had time to check it out because I've been having my exams at Uni and just driving the car. I will get holidays in about 4 days so I plan on fixing alot of problems with the car in that time.

Just wanting to know your opinions on what could be making that sound.

If it is the brake drum this would mean machining obviously.

Incidentally I've read about stub axels breaking on some early 240z's. I do not want this obviously could this be one of those wearing thin?

Cheers,

Slightly Concerned :( .

Gavin:

Sounds like it could be the brake SHOE being worn down to metal and that brake shoe metal is now eating at the brake drum. Unless you want to replace the brake drum, I'd drive the car very little until you address this issue. It does not take too much metal on metal wear to ruin the drum, and they aren't cheap to replace (at least here in the US they aren't.

Good Luck with final exams & the car!