IGNORED

Headlight Switch gone wacko

tadslc

HI guys

'72 240Z

Just added a tail light relay kit to my car and while I had things apart I cleaned up the turn signal switch. The headlight switch looked brand new and worked well before installing the kit so I left it alone.

I reassembled everything and now when my headlight switch is off my parking lights stay on.

Position 1 is as it should be, parking lights on. Position 2 powers up the headlights. I have hi and low beams, the turn signals work as they should.

Looked at a lot of wiring diagrams but can't figure out what I did wrong.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Suggestions

1. Remove the relay kit and see if normal function is restored.
  2. Remove the headlight switch and check resistance across the terminals for the parking lights with the switch in off.
  3. Be more specific about the tail light relay kit. Do you mean the parking light relay kit that Motorsport Auto sells? https://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/classic10l/12-4652
  4. If it is the parking light relay kit, something isn't landed right.
  5. Drive 3 hours to my place for me to fix it. Standard rates apply.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SteveJ said:

Suggestions

1. Remove the relay kit and see if normal function is restored.
  2. Remove the headlight switch and check resistance across the terminals for the parking lights with the switch in off.
  3. Be more specific about the tail light relay kit. Do you mean the parking light relay kit that Motorsport Auto sells? https://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/classic10l/12-4652
  4. If it is the parking light relay kit, something isn't landed right.
  5. Drive 3 hours to my place for me to fix it. Standard rates apply.

Well dang, I'm slipping in my semi-old age. I should have thought of the removal of the kit #1.

I bought the kit from Oliver @ ZSpecialties but it looks identical to the Motorsport Auto kit.

I hope I won't have to drive to Gainesville for this, hate going through Atlanta.

Will check back in later...

Hopefully you'll figure out what went wrong with the install. I won't be near B'ham until ZCON, and I would only have a scaled down toolkit with me.

As for #1, whenever I encounter a new problem with my cars, I usually start with looking at the last thing I f'd with.

Hello Houston, we have a problem. Lets call it a challenge...

I took out the relay from the circuit and the light switch started working as designed. Yea!!

Oops, Now I have no wipers or turn signals. Huh, I had them the day before...

I plugged the relay back in and the headlight switch was working but still no wipers or turn signals.

The emergency flashers work well.

The only thing I did between the time I saw my original issue and the time I took out the relay was fiddle with the emergency flasher switch. By fiddle I mean I took the switch out, inspected the wiring and reinstalled.

I've tried all kinds of research with wiring diagrams and they can be very frustrating. In the diagram it will show a Blue/Red wiring going straight to a component but in my world that same blue/red wire goes thru a connector, changes color and disappears into the wiring harness.

I have my work cut out for me...

The hazard switch can affect the turn signals, but it's less likely in this case since the hazards work. Just double check that the connectors are plugged in firmly on the hazard switch.

As for wire colors, use them to find the wires on the dash harness/engine harness/body harness. Connectors should only be able to connect one way, so if a supplier did not follow the right convention, the wire should still go to the right spot. The BE section of the FSM has good (but not great) documentation of what wire goes to what pin on the connectors.

Okay, my wipers are now working but I still have no turn signals. It's got to be connection related since everything worked previously.

I've just plugged and unplugged the various connections, double checked correct connections when I've been able to.

Still confused about a correct wiring diagram, they all seem to show different wire colors for the T/S flasher relay among other electrical items connected to the turn signals.

22 hours ago, SteveJ said:

I've spent hours going over this, excellent work.

I've also realized that with the European tail lights I have on my car it's wired a little differently which led to my confusion on the T/S Flasher and on top of that I've found some shady electrical work from previous owner(s).

How about this?

Brake light switch, 2 black wires coming off the switch.

One black wire off the switch connects to the Green/Yellow wire and goes to the emergency flasher switch.

The other black wire you can't really see is connected to the Green wire with the blue connectors and goes to the tail lights.

The best part... a most excellent alligator clip goes to the T/S flasher and attaches with another alligator clip.

Gotta love PO's.

Brake Light Switch.jpg

Baby steps,

Concentrated on the turn signal last night and was able to clean up the wiring and rid my car of the alligator clip? Blinkers working great!

Still no brake lights, tested the switch and its working well, I have power to the switch so I'm sure its more creative wiring. I'm sure I'll get it working tonight.

Previous owners always amaze me...

Thanks,

• Like 1