IGNORED

Fix It Up, Or Find Another?

skinnyz

OK, I need some expert opinions. I bought my 73 z two years ago, and havent done much as far as major overhauls of any sort. I finally am to a point to where I might be able to put some money into my baby. I paid 1200 for the car, which I think was a steal since it has been a dialy driver ever since. My question is this, I need to know whether the rust, and or body condition is good, bad or ugly. Should I use this one for my project, or try to find another one and use this one for parts? I am sentimental to this one, keep in mind, so I would love to see it completed. I have quite a few pics in my gallery and need to put some more in of the A pillar, which has a lot of body filler on it, which is cracking badly. Other that that, there isnt really any major damage, except the primored fender on the passenger side. And another question, has anyone had any luck with the dash caps, full or half, from Motorsport? I would rather try to find one without cracks, but have a feeling that would be quite a search. Thanks in advance!

Are you crazy fix it up you have hardly any rust. Looks like a great car better to fix the problems with the one you know then to buy another and find hidden problems.

I'm only going by pics but from those she looks very good.:classic: as a potential project.

Originally posted by Gav240z

Are you crazy fix it up you have hardly any rust.

If you only paid $1200 for this car, and you've been driving it for a year, you stole it. :classic: A little surface rust is nothing. There looked to be a rust-through in the passenger side door opening on the rocker - I'd look over this area very thoroughly. If you don't have any paint bubbling along the rocker, then you're probably still OK, but beware of what I found when I removed the front fenders on mine:

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7721

Of course I knew I had major rust problems other places. Overall, we should all be so lucky...

EDIT: Ok, looking at the picture again, I guess it's the drivers side rocker near the rear quarter dogleg. At least that's easier to see any hidden stuff...

I defintely think I got a good deal on the car, I bought it practically sight unseen. I bought it at night, completely dark(stupid, I know) It was the only time I saw it before I bought it. It had to be jumped, but started right up after sitting for 6 months, made it the 20 miles home with no problem. I had a smile on my face the whole way! The drivers door window regulator was broke and the window was down halfway when I got it, I think that didnt help the rust situation, she said it had been broke for some time. You are making me feel better though, thanks a lot. I work at a Ford dealership selling parts, I dont get many kind words about my car here. Im just waiting for the day one of them is broke down on the side of the road...Ill be happy to give them a ride in my "rice-grinder" :classic:

Thanks again.

Looking at your pictures, the body condition is good and in need of a thorough paint job. The better your prep work, the better and longer lasting your results. Take care of the rust now and you will have many more years of Datsun famous cheap transportation.

Consider a low monthly transportation cost excluding gas, oil, and insurance of $250. That's what a Neon, Saturn, Taurus cost in 1999. That is $3000 per year of driving. Right now you are getting off pretty cheap, but you can see what might be reasonable expenses for repairs. In other words, $4000 now for driving the next five years is still way cheap. $15,000 now equates to what it would cost to drive a cheap (new) car in 1999.

I put a MSA dash half cover on my Z ten years ago and it still looks good. I recall it took me three or four hours to get it to fit just right and look as good as it does. There was a forum a month or so ago about sending our dashes to Australia for a $600+ restoration and I'm doing it, but I will vouch for my dash cap.

Well, I have the pics fromo the other side, and of the A pillar, but they wont upload correctly, the file is corrupted I think. I have to get another disk and try again, hopefully its not my camera. I am going to try again tomorrow though.

Well, I tried re-saving the other pics, hopefully some of them will make it ok. Thanks for the info on the dash cap by the way, I wasnt sure if they would look ok, and the restoration doesnt sound too bad for the money, its a lot but probably worth it.

Hate to contradict my fellow firends but that car is defintely a wrecker.

Its obvious from the pictures that the car is totaly rusted out and should not be driven. In fact, as a favour to yourself, I will personally come down there and remove it to prevent any possibility of injury.ROFL ROFL

Cheers,

Peter

p.s. Funny how location can influence your thinking. In AR the car is perhaps questionable, whereas up here we'd call it "Cherry" :classic:

I sure do appreciate the offer to help, are you sure you dont want anything for the tow?LOL

Im sure location does make a huge difference, we get new cars in the shop down here from up north that are nearly rusted through, I can imagine the problems a Z would have in the same area!

Originally posted by peterc

Its obvious from the pictures that the car is totaly rusted out and should not be driven. In fact, as a favour to yourself, I will personally come down there and remove it to prevent any possibility of injury.ROFL ROFL

you see, that's what I love about this site - someone is ALWAYS willing to extend a helping hand!