IGNORED

oil from bottom of carb?

kully 560

does anybody know why I have carb oil on the bottom of my 4 bolt su carbs? it seems when I put my finger under the mixing screw it get wet with oil. these were rebuild way back in 1997 from z therapy . so could there be a seal or gasket that went bad? thanks kully

1 minute ago, kully 560 said:

does anybody know why I have carb oil on the bottom of my 4 bolt su carbs? it seems when I put my finger under the mixing screw it get wet with oil. these were rebuild way back in 1997 from z therapy . so could there be a seal or gasket that went bad?  also last month I did top off the carbs with oil and drove it about 20 miles after that . but I believe if over filled the motor will just burn of the rest ? thanks kully

I renewed things in 2007 and have the same.. bottom of the carbs get a bit wet.. i guess it comes from that extremely good ( sarcasm !!!! ) fuel we get these days..   (at the moment we pay about 8 dollar a gallon for that $^!#..)

The oil that you put in the carbs (i use 10w40) burns of if there is to much in the carb.. after a 50 miles i think the oil should stand on the line or under (on the stick is a line for the oil.)

Last week i filled them up because one carb was low. that was the first time since 2007!  I could feel when pushing the big pot inside up that the rear carb had a low oil level.. the next half of the way up it went very fast and after i filled the oil up it was a slow upgoing pot so good again now.. (pff bad english hey..🙊)

24 minutes ago, kully 560 said:

over filled oil should be burned off and not leak.

I think thats not the oil that hangs on the carbs.. it's just greasy stuff.. dried up fuel that hangs on the carbs.  Your oillevel is max at the line.. your good if it's just under that line..  as long as your piston in the carb gets to the top fluently.. (push the piston up on the filter side)  If it halfway starts to go much easyer it's wrong, it should go with some resistance/drag all to the top.

I think the oil does not need to be all the way to the line.. line is a max indicating thing.  If your carbs are losing the oil.. yeah then you need to remanufacter/revise them..

thanks I will check the piston movement today. when I wipe my finger under the mixing screw  it is oil. so I will have to check the piston movement . I had oil there yesterday and no oil this morning . my oil level is down about a 1/2" below the ring on both carbs and that is where it always was . I   thought it was supposed  to be at the level ring all the time ?