IGNORED

Exhaust system California

dylancorrea1

Im basically 3/4 way to get 280z on the road, I decided to go the long way instead of paying “a guy” to pass smog. The cat is probably stock and rotting away, the exhaust system its self is also slightly rotting away with little holes in it from rust. I decided on going down the root of getting a 3-2 headers with a smog fitting and a brand new cat. I don’t want to fail visual inspection as I live in California but I also don’t want to break the bank. Would a black exhaust from MSA be to noticeable and would I get turned away for it? ZCardepot has a stainless steal version with a smog fitting as well, but I don’t know if its as good as quality as the MSA 3-2. Any tips on exhaust and if I will face any major issues? Tips to save money?
Note: the stock headers look mostly fine, full of surface rust would a stock exhaust from MSA with a new cat be a better option than, new headers and new cat?

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkIMG_0508.thumb.png.e3898569388abd9141d22ae244df4624.pngIMG_0503.thumb.png.e70083e60db1d64c62309ff12b07f550.png

Probably depends on who's doing your inspection. I've had one guy spend 20 minutes doing the visual, checking everything with a flashlight. Another just gave it a quick glance. There are no 280z headers that are smog legal though, so installing is a gamble.

Probably depends on who's doing your inspection. I've had one guy spend 20 minutes doing the visual, checking everything with a flashlight. Another just gave it a quick glance. There are no 280z headers that are smog legal though, so installing is a gamble.

So I’ve heard none are legal sadly, I could leave stock headers and go with emissions exhaust system from MSA plus cat. It would save me a few hundred dollars and ensure a pass. Is this a fine enough suit, i do want something with noise.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkIMG_0511.png

That MSA header and pipe / muffler combination on my old L26 made one of the best sounds I’ve ever heard on a car - in fact it sold me the car!!!! It also made a superb power band / flat torque curve ....

55a09391f92a56d0fcdd0ff4545ba38f.jpg

I would caution you about the eBay copy as there have been many reports of problems with the flange not being thick enough and the fit under the car being too low.

Having said that, I did manage to catch my MSA one on a few speed humps (but my car is probably lowered by an inch.

That MSA header and pipe / muffler combination on my old L26 made one of the best sounds I’ve ever heard on a car - in fact it sold me the car!!!! It also made a superb power band / flat torque curve ....

55a09391f92a56d0fcdd0ff4545ba38f.jpg

I would caution you about the eBay copy as there have been many reports of problems with the flange not being thick enough and the fit under the car being too low.

Having said that, I did manage to catch my MSA one on a few speed humps (but my car is probably lowered by an inch.

I was thinking of purchasing the MSA headers and getting the stock pipe, run a cat and then just afterwards straight pipe. I love the sound of the MSA headers, my car is mostly a straight pipe with one 50 year old cat in its way. I looked at the eBay copies, but I was skeptical of the functionality and build thank you for the warning and advise. In terms of power I just want to drive the old girl shes been sitting for 9 months so power isn’t much concern, but a bonus is always appreciated :).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1