IGNORED

280z starter fitment help!!

dylancorrea1

Hello, I have a 1978 280z with a dead starter so I removed it and began to look for a replacement. Although the fitment makes me hesitant on which to get. The starter I removed looks identical to a 1977 280z starter but when searching on online stores it says a 1977 starter will not fit a 1978 280z.

Now the pictures of the 1978 starter do not look like they will fit my 1978 the mounting is reversed almost along with no cone, I may be overthinking this and it may seem like a stupid question but is there a difference?

The first photo is from autozone, the second from zcardepot and the final is my starter.

And this is the 1978 280z starter, with no cone and with the mounting reversed.IMG_9643.jpgIMG_9646.pngIMG_9648.jpgIMG_9649.png

1978 was the first year of a gear-reduction starter, these ones are more efficient, and a direct bolt into our cars, you can use the one from datsun-garage  or linked below.

https://www.autozone.com/batteries-starting-and-charging/starter/duralast-remanufactured-starter-16584/860650_0_0

Autozone has 20% off orders of $100, so if you needed something else you can get a nice little discount + free shipping.

1978 was the first year of a gear-reduction starter, these ones are more efficient, and a direct bolt into our cars, you can use the one from datsun-garage  or linked below.
https://www.autozone.com/batteries-starting-and-charging/starter/duralast-remanufactured-starter-16584/860650_0_0
Autozone has 20% off orders of $100, so if you needed something else you can get a nice little discount + free shipping.

So the bolting fitment doesn’t really matter? Thank you, you made my choice a lot easier, I’ll with the autozone most likely due to the cheaper price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk