IGNORED

280z efi to carburetor problems

Onta_Z

Long story short: bought a 77 280z from some guy who tried to convert efi to carburetor because of EFI problems he apparently was having. He installed an ignition module from a ford ranchero (luckily it somehow worked)however, he Never got the car running. I bought it, turns out the gas tank was completely fried. Bought a new/used gas tank, installed, car runs good. Had a good friend come over and tune the carbs, car ran good still. Went to take it out on a longer than usual cruise, and the car after hitting 45-60 mph slowly would loose power. I have backfire coming out of the exhaust upon de acceleration. Spark plugs were wet and black. I leaned out the carbs a bit to resolve the issue, i tore out the half arse ignition module and replaced it with the GM HEI ignition module upgrade. Fuel pump has been replaced with K&N one from Z store, (fuel pressure checks out and ranges from 3.5-5 PSI). Does anyone have any recommendations on what to check out next? Maybe a clogged cat? Fuel tank clogged somewhere? Dizzy is bad?

Thank you,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to the forum. 

Removing all those vacuum lines for efi to work to run SUs that only need a couple would be a challenge. The vacuum advace nipple on the front carb comes to mind for me. Then the '77 carbon canister and using the '77 fuel tank. There's a lot to do I've read. I have a '77 and want to put a spare set of SUs on there myself but it runs good so I'm not able to open that can of worms right now.

Anyway, here's a thread you might could read over and get that lightbulb in your head idea. Good luck with it and you'll get some replies, mostly questions I bet.