IGNORED

Rusty Spare Tire Well Repair

texasz

My spare tire well has some rust in it, no wholes (except for the manufacturer drain whole) just bad surface rust. Waht's the best way to get rid of it and treat the area?

I was thinking taking a wire wheel on a drill to it to clean most of it up then something that would do a more fine finishing clean up. Then POR-15 the entire tire well (everything below the hatch floor). What are your oppinions?

Here a pic of the area:

http://www.classiczcars.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=5626&password=&sort=7&thecat=500

Originally posted by texasz

My spare tire well has some rust in it, no wholes (except for the manufacturer drain whole) just bad surface rust.

Just be careful - my spare tire well didn't look much worse than yours, but when I got down to it, I stuck a screwdriver through the rust in about 10 places. All little 1/4" rust-throughs, but from the bottom it looked fine. Until I poked.

FYI.

post-4028-14150792742092_thumb.jpg