IGNORED

240Z-400Z

DC871F

The Golden era of cars?

If the 1970 240z came out today, would it be the $3500 car it was then? Not talking the techno advances, I'm only discussing it through todays lens. Would such an international sensation like the 240z be only worth ($19,000) in todays money? I hardly think so. The 400z, or whatever its going to be called I would imagine is going to set you back at the very least $50,000.

Maybe its not fair to not judge the tech aspect of the car, but a new car in 1970 was just that, a new car. What can you get for $19,000 today that had the inspiration the 240 had, crickets.

I was really hoping that the Toyota FRS was going to be the car that came to revolutionize like the 240z did, but I dont think is landed. It has all the earmarks the 240 has, cheap, looks, manual, rear wheel drive, cheap to operate. I owned an RX-8 when they first came out, and I was really thinking Mazda hit out of the park, and then......

So where will the new Z fall into, a couple of years of "hey, theres a new Z"!), and the find them on the used market for 50% value in a couple of years?  The New Beetle had the same fanfare, then splat, then the New New Beetle the same, then splat, and remember, the Beetle (old) is the most popular car in history, and VW could not capitalize on it.

I guess the point is, the last 2 generations have deemed cars as not what my parents or my generation (I'm 47) has made them out to be. So, when you watch the popular car auctions, and someone pays $185,000 for a really nice Hemi Cuda, is there an investment there, is that money well spent for a future that may not have an audience for such machines?

240z.jpeg

Nissan-Z-Prototype-23.jpg

Edited by DC871F
  • Like 3

Good points, and clearly something to consider.

The golden era of automobiles was the 50's, 60's and early 70's. The evolution to electronic everything in an effort to reduce exhaust emissions and squeeze every last bit of potential out of a gallon of fuel has changed the automotive scene in a strange way. Most cars these days are disposable appliances, that when worn out, or obsoleted out, are cast aside in favor of the latest electronic gimcrackery.

Having recently discovered the modest gold mine I am sitting on, I have found myself wondering how long it will last, where it will peak and at what level. But rather than fret about the future value of my cars, I think I'll do my best to enjoy them. I never started the car thing as an investment anyway, rather it is a passion, something that gives great satisfaction and rewards.

Edited by Racer X
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Racer X said:

I never started the car thing as an investment anyway, rather it is a passion, something that gives great satisfaction and rewards.

Me as well, which I'm sure most here did also.

My interest was really older Oval window Beetles and 240z, 280zx. By default of now almost 3 decades of focusing on those cars, and years of buying cars and parts, I could probably finance my restoration of my 240 with just selling my parts, but I'll gladly buy more for the build and keep my hoard.