1975 Datsun 280 Z - Open Discussions - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

1975 Datsun 280 Z

Featured Replies

What do you need done?

  • Author

In general, just looking for mechanic to do regular maintenance, tune ups, etc. However, next summer I want to replace 4 speed transmission with 5 speed transmission.  

I have a  280zx close ratio 5 speed and the rebuilt Half shaft axles and Futofab Stub axles that are included with the sale. The spare axles and Futofab stub axles allow for a direct swap of any Subaru STI R180 Differential and maybe go with the 3.90 ratio R180 from I believe a 2004-2005 Subaru STI.

doing a trans swap is pretty easy, only hard part will be getting the car up at least 30" off the ground to make it easy. the other issue is getting the exhaust bolts off the header pipe to the exhaust manifold, if they are stuck that is.

I priced it out and it was going to cost me like 800$ (clutch/rear main at the same time). I generally don't like anyone else working on my car, just getting it up on the air can be an issue with correct lift points.

If you don't have to fight the bolts in the exhaust its about a 7 hr  job (swap/clutch/rear main) doing it by yourself.

I see Steve J responded while I was posting he is from the area so prob knows folks that do good work if you don't want to mess with it.

 

 

Edited by Dave WM

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.
  • Author

thanks for info.. very helpful.. bought a brand new 280 Z in 1975 and traded it in. I loved that car and can't remember my rationale for selling. Now, purchased the same model, color. etc just for fun. It is in great condition but will need a mechanic to deal with issues as they arise. Plus, I do want to swap out transmission, axles and should just replace clutch this coming summer.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.