IGNORED

1975 Datsun 280 Z

Belgian Steve

In general, just looking for mechanic to do regular maintenance, tune ups, etc. However, next summer I want to replace 4 speed transmission with 5 speed transmission.  

I have a  280zx close ratio 5 speed and the rebuilt Half shaft axles and Futofab Stub axles that are included with the sale. The spare axles and Futofab stub axles allow for a direct swap of any Subaru STI R180 Differential and maybe go with the 3.90 ratio R180 from I believe a 2004-2005 Subaru STI.

doing a trans swap is pretty easy, only hard part will be getting the car up at least 30" off the ground to make it easy. the other issue is getting the exhaust bolts off the header pipe to the exhaust manifold, if they are stuck that is.

I priced it out and it was going to cost me like 800$ (clutch/rear main at the same time). I generally don't like anyone else working on my car, just getting it up on the air can be an issue with correct lift points.

If you don't have to fight the bolts in the exhaust its about a 7 hr  job (swap/clutch/rear main) doing it by yourself.

I see Steve J responded while I was posting he is from the area so prob knows folks that do good work if you don't want to mess with it.

Edited by Dave WM

thanks for info.. very helpful.. bought a brand new 280 Z in 1975 and traded it in. I loved that car and can't remember my rationale for selling. Now, purchased the same model, color. etc just for fun. It is in great condition but will need a mechanic to deal with issues as they arise. Plus, I do want to swap out transmission, axles and should just replace clutch this coming summer.