IGNORED

Spindle Pin (rant)

cgsheen1

I found that spinning the pin in the bore loosened things up quite a bit.  I used a lug nut on the end of the pin and squirted lube in the lock pin hole and the the ends, then just spun it for a while.  If I was doing another I'd probably rig something up to spin and pull at the same time.  Moving the spindle pin back and forth in the bore also helps, probably distributes the rust away from the pinch points.

I also got caught by the pin being rusted in to the sleeve inside the rubber bushing.  I found the the rubber would pull the pin back after I pounded it in.  It was confusing for a while.  "I know I saw it move but there it is where it started"  WTF!".

On 10/25/2020 at 1:35 PM, Zed Head said:

I found that spinning the pin in the bore loosened things up quite a bit.  I used a lug nut on the end of the pin and squirted lube in the lock pin hole and the the ends, then just spun it for a while.  If I was doing another I'd probably rig something up to spin and pull at the same time.  Moving the spindle pin back and forth in the bore also helps, probably distributes the rust away from the pinch points.

Yup. This is my preferred removal method. I've found that if I can get them to turn, I can get them out. Even if they don't spin freely, it I can get them turning at all I can tap them out while they're turning. I love that they're the same thread as a lug nut. I always use an old lug nut to protect the threads when I'm removing a spindle. Normally I'm locking two nuts together and using my impact wrench to see if I can get them to turn.