IGNORED

78 fuel tank pickup screen

AZDatsun

Any possible way to clear a clogged screen without cutting a hole in the tank? I was thinking maybe a metal rod might be able to poke holes in the screen but lots of angles from what I can tell

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@AZDatsun

I would try a blast with my air compressor and air gun backwards towards the fuel tank. The closest you could get to the tank from the engine bay. Maybe below the passenger's side strut tower before the fuel filter? Take the gas cap off 1st though. :ph34r:

When my 240 would quit from lack of fuel I'd blow in the INPUT hose connected to the filter until I could hear bubbling in the tank. Then go like hell until it quit again. I finally dropped the tank and cleaned the crud out and coated it with Red-Kote. Never had to try on my 280 so good luck.

here's a pic of the pickup in a '77.

rust.jpg

The crud at the bottom appears to be rust.  It does not scrap off with a stick.
Since gas floats on water. Rust will occur on the bottom of the tank first as well as in the air space above the gas where condensation occurs.
The larger upper tube is the send to the engine and the lower is the return.

above provided by..

http://240260280.com/legacy/techtips/fuel/gastank/index.htm

Edited by siteunseen