IGNORED

Antenna cable length

Dave WM

the actual wire that connects the antenna to the radio that is. I decided to replace my orig as it had broken and I fixed with a splice. Radio reception not being that sensitive I decided to go the route of starting with replacing that, just in case I was having a loss due to the splice. Anyway bought 12ft thinking that should be plenty (and was the longest in stock at AZ). Removing the seat and safety belt reel, the metal cover by the door sill and of course the plastic rear quarter cover give you access.

there are several attachment hold downs that secure the wire along its route, so I decided to just undo the old and put in the new at the same time to keep the lead dress the same. I was surprised to find the 12 ft  cable about 1ft short of the end destination. I used the old cable taped for security to the new one to fish it thru the rear most section. this save you having to pull the piller trim and maybe the smaller rear quarter plastic. just make sure you have a good tape joint. there are NO hold downs after the 1st one right at the end until you are past the piller and the seat belt mount.

I went back and made sure I had all the slack out as best as possible AND re routed the portion that went under the seat mount (there is just enough room to snake it thru a channel at the side of the seat mount/floor joint. With that I had an inch or so to spare. Reception is not really any better, but at least I know its not the antenna cable. When things get cooler I will pull the radio and do a alignment check. The AM is fine (not that there is much to listen to) but the FM struggles to pull in moderately strong signals. Maybe its just the way it is, but after 45 years I can see how perhaps something has drifted in the IF stage or RF tuning.

A 14 ft cable would be much easier to work with, the orig cable was more that 12ft (measured) but not sure exactly due to the splice that I had added.

Edited by Dave WM

21 minutes ago, Dave WM said:

A 14 ft cable would be much easier to work with, the orig cable was more that 12ft (measured) but not sure exactly due to the splice that I had added.

Looks like the OE cable is metric @ 4m length (which converts to 13 ft 1.5 in)

Edited by Namerow

29 minutes ago, Namerow said:

Looks like the OE cable is metric @ 4m length (which converts to 13 ft 1.5 in)

ah that explains it! well you can just make it by saving the approx. 12" bypassing the seat mount bump out.