IGNORED

Thermostat Housing Replacement

Coochas

Hi All,

I'm working on my 72 240Z.   In removing the thermostat housing cooling neck, I snapped one of the bolts going into the housing.   I couldn't extract the bolt so then I decided to remove the whole housing to work on it on the bench.   Of course, I snapped the front bolt.  Can U give any tips for getting the rear bolt off the engine?  It is sandwiched in there!!!!!

I fortunately found a new housing on z-cardepot and should have it at the end of the week.

TIA

How much is left in the hole?  Sometimes the shaft gets rusted in and only the top breaks off.  You have to twist the housing around and back and forth on the bolt remnant to get the rust to break free.

Got a picture?

26 minutes ago, Zed Head said:

How much is left in the hole?  Sometimes the shaft gets rusted in and only the top breaks off.  You have to twist the housing around and back and forth on the bolt remnant to get the rust to break free.

Got a picture?

I think there is enough left in the hole to suggest it didn't snap inside the block.  The remnant is 9mm from the flange.

I'm almost wondering if I should try to weld a stud inside the buggered hole for the cooling neck.  If you can suggest an easy way to get that rear bolt out of the housing, I'd appreciate it!

240z - 1.jpeg

240z - 2.jpeg

240z - 3.jpeg

240z - 4.jpeg

The rear bolt probably just needs a socket on a long skinny extension.  You might have to stack short extensions and/or use pliers on the extension instead of the ratchet handle.Then the housing might just pop off with a tap or two.

Problems there are very common.  Just have to get creative.

• Like 1