Cleaning gas tank - Open Discussions - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

Cleaning gas tank

Featured Replies

If I take the gas tank down to the radiator shop and have the inside washed out(acid bath? Not sure yet what they use.), do I still have to coat with the Por 15 product, or just leave as is? The tank has no leaks, just a bunch of varnish(no rust) from sitting for twenty years and the varnish is constantly plugging the electric fuel pump filter. Thanks, Victor.

I'd be curious to know what the radiator shop doing the work has to say on this issue.

If they use some sort of acid to get the garbage out, yes, I'd put some type of sealer in it as the acid is going to etch the metal and take off any type of sealer that might have been there in the first place. It's going to rust much faster if it is etched with an acid than it would if they just steam cleaned it.

If you are going through all the trouble to remove the tank and have it cleaned, it's probably best to seal it with one of the selaers on the market, you should never have to worry about it again and you'll have piece of mind that this is one think that won't cause problems down the road. No sense it taking the tank out a second time if it does cause problems with surface rust after you have it cleaned.....:ermm:

  • Author

Yes, I think you're right. I'll order the POR 15 kit. Thanks, Victor.

Originally posted by tanny

Yes, I think you're right. I'll order the POR 15 kit. Thanks, Victor.

Is that stuff alright submersed in petrol?

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.

I would speak to the shop doing the work before I ordered anything.You would hate to hear --Well we use this other product and can't guarantee yours.The less headaches the better!

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.