IGNORED

Solid '72 240Z Project For Sale in Phoenix on Craigslist

lonetreesteve

I found this Z on the Phoenix Criaigslist. Looks to be a solid, matching-numbers AZ project car with lots of extras including a Vintage Dashes refurbished 240Z dash, new front & rear disc brake kit and new stainless steel header and exhaust system.  I don't know the owner/seller and I have not tried to contact him. Price seems a little high to me, but I'm sure the seller will listen to decent offers. 

Here's the link: https://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/cto/d/phoenix-1972-datsun-240z/7078006622.html

Here are the details that the seller lists out about the car: 

"I purchased this a few years ago and just haven't had the time to work on it. I don't have to sell and I'm in no rush so don't try to lowball me with ridiculous offers because I will ignore them. I will entertain reasonable offers. So far I have replaced all the suspension bushings with polyurethane which also included replacing the rear spindle pins. If you've ever done that on a Z you know how hard they can be to remove. I also had the front suspension components powder coated and planned on doing the same to the rear but haven't gotten around to it. I have all the parts that I've removed labeled and in bags plus I took pictures as I removed parts so I can provide all the original parts and the pictures. This is definitely a project. I bought the car from an old guy in Tucson, AZ and with all the parts I'm sending with it it's definitely worth what I'm asking. I can provide more detailed pictures of the car if requested. I have a truck and would help deliver it to your house if the right deal could be reached. The car was originally white with a red interior and I planned to restore it back to that. Here's a breakdown of various components."
Body: I ran a magnet over the entire body and the only place it didn't stick was behind the passenger door (can see bondo there). Otherwise it is relatively rust free from what I can tell. It's a Datsun though. The benefit here is that it appears to have spent the majority of it's life in AZ and in a garage. Paint is a crappy respray.

Interior: Plastic is pretty brittle. Dash is cracked. Gauges were working other than the clock. Seats need recovered and need new carpets and headliner. It appears like the passenger floor board also has some rust but I'm not sure if it's just surface or all the way thrrough.

Engine: The engine was running before I pulled it. It has matching numbers. I planned on rebuilding it even though it showed decent compression from the test I ran (I need to find the numbers I wrote down).

Windows: No cracks and all are in good shape other than being a little dusty.
Weatherstripping: Needs replaced IMO.
Wiring: When it was running everything seemed to be fine, lights worked, signals worked, etc.
Transmission: It shifted OK. My plan was to get it rebuilt though I'm not sure if it needs it.
Rear end: No clunking and appeared to be operating fine. I was just going to clean it and call it good.
Tires/wheels: Decent condition and tread but it was always my plan to replace them.
I have the following parts that I will be including in the sale. I will potentially consider selling the car without them but my preference is to sell it altogether.
Vintage Dashes Dash: This is not a dash pad but a completely brand new dash that bolts to the existing frame. $900 new
ZStory Exhaust and Header: Full stainless steel and super nice. $1350 new
Front/Rear Disk Brake upgrade: Purchased form Z Car Depot, 4 piston Toyota front and maxima rear disk brake conversion with parking brake plus drilled rotors, pads, lines, etc. $1200 new
Misc: Lots of misc. parts like OEM rubber boots, gaskets, motor mounts. I can provide a more complete list to serious buyers if requested.

00n0n_lSR3Md4z79g_1200x900.jpg

00Z0Z_brf1gQjip8C_1200x900.jpg

00d0d_eMjWcegYYhv_1200x900.jpg

00r0r_17P7Ru9wkaU_1200x900.jpg

Edited by lonetreesteve

Never really understood why people overprice their cars, then say that they'll entertain offers (obviously going to be lower than asking), but then say "don't go too low or I'll get angry".  Just set a reasonable price and make the sale.

He has 900 + 1350 + 1200 in parts included in the asking price.  Subtract that from $11,000 and you're at $7,550.  He can't get mad at that since those are his numbers.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Zed Head said:

Never really understood why people overprice their cars, then say that they'll entertain offers (obviously going to be lower than asking), but then say "don't go too low or I'll get angry".  Just set a reasonable price and make the sale.

He has 900 + 1350 + 1200 in parts included in the asking price.  Subtract that from $11,000 and you're at $7,550.  He can't get mad at that since those are his numbers.

I completely agree with you, Zed Head. This Z is a project car, even though it's a solid Arizona car, but still a non-running project that will require a lot of work. You see a lot of these grumpy, "get off my lawn" type guys like this on CL and eBay stating "no low-ball offers" and they always seem to ask to much.