IGNORED

1978 280Z Steering Rack...

Yarb

Like to get some clarification if I can Please. After looking through many posts that might provide an answer for me. Is the 78 model steering rack different from the 77 and older 280z racks. I’ve checked the Nissan parts listing and can’t find any difference other than the 240 p/n listings. What I’ve found is when I search for a replacement for the 1978 it’s either not available or on back order. The only site that show a listing is Buy Auto Parts and it’s back ordered. My manufacture date is 1/77. Can any one clear this up for me. Appreciate the help.

Other than some apparent ratio differences in the early rack, all racks are interchangeable 240/260/280 to the end of 280z. There is only one uniqueness, and that is the size (width) of the bushing flanges and bushing, the left one near the steering shaft . Early racks are narrower, later (260 onward approx?) are wider. You just need the correct width bushing. The energy suspension poly bushing kits for the 240 and 280 are only different in the left rack bushing width.   7.10101 (240) and 7.10102 (260-280).  I wish I could remember the flange width on the two models, let me go measure some.

Ok, early are about 1” wide, late about 1.25”. Very different. You don’t want to put a narrow bushing on a wide flange rack, the rack with slide around. 

There are threads on here about folks have lots of fun getting the poly rack bushing to seat properly. Do some searching to see the solutions. 

You can shim a narrow bushing to fit on a wide rack, but I dare you try fitting a wide bushing into a narrow flange rack. 

Edited by zKars

Yes Sir that’s the one I was speaking of earlier. Do you have a manufacture preference on ball joints etc. The rear suspension had a lot of OEM parts still available. Not so much for the front from what I’ve seen.