IGNORED

280z 78 Wont idle, Running Rich, out of ideas.

Cyrillink

On 2/6/2020 at 4:06 PM, Zed Head said:

The TVS being stuck on wide open can cause wet plugs also.

You can check that at the ECU plug also.  I assume that your coolant temperature sensor reading was at the ECU plug.

On 2/6/2020 at 2:34 PM, Zed Head said:

I went back a few posts and see the part about how the car ran well when there was a gap between the AFM and the throttle body.  If I read it right.  The fact that the idle adjustment screw doesn't raise idle speed implies that your AFM vane is stuck.  Take the black cover off and see if the counterweight moves when you use the throttle.  It should.

And you should set the AFM idle screw back to where you started with it.  It's not an idle speed screw, it's an air-fuel ratio adjustment screw.  

On 2/6/2020 at 1:26 PM, siteunseen said:

mine was full of acorns, no kidding.  Damn chipmunks!

Hey Team,

Got some pictures to clear a few things up. I opened up the butterfly screw and got the engine running well lean but i wanted to warm her to check the temp sensor.

Picture below with the temp cooling down and Ohms were changing good sign.

TPS - In idle.

AFM - moves freely. Really starting to suspect wrong model of AFM.

pin 13 kohm test.jpg

Temp.jpg

tps.jpg

AFM.jpg

12 hours ago, Cyrillink said:

I opened up the butterfly screw and got the engine running well lean but i wanted to warm her to check the temp sensor.

Picture below with the temp cooling down and Ohms were changing good sign.

TPS - In idle.

AFM - moves freely. Really starting to suspect wrong model of AFM.

So it idles well, and it's not running rich?  Problem solved?

You should measure the TVS values at the ECU connector like the book shows.  The ECU can't see those contacts, it only knows what the wires tell it.

That is a Fuel Injection Corp reman.  Sold by MSA.  They take the Nissan model number off of the original.  I had one of those and it ran rich at idle.  Couldn't pass emissions with it, even with the idle air bypass wide open.  It worked great otherwise.  Not really sure how they verify that their remans work correctly.  

I don't see the resistance numbers for the AFM.  100 and 180.  Numbers, numbers, numbers....