IGNORED

carter crt-p60430

kully 560

has anybody tried this pump ? specs for carter is 4-6psi and 30gph and is also regulated . I am looking to replace my 25 year oil master pump and carry it for a spare so as not to need a hook if I break down when on the road. I do not see many different pumps posted here, I have seen some Airtex Carter 4070, and Holley red. just wondering if anybody tried this pump ? thanks

Edited by kully 560

well I installed this nice pump today pretty heavy compared to my old pump . I thought I had a master pump but it must have been replace years ago with the airtex 8016. this pump is bone quiet can not even hear it  standing next to the car with just the ignition on. I  have to go to the back and really listen. carter told me this pump draws 2.3 amps so here are some photos, now also in the photos I see I need to clean up some surface rust  that is tomorrows  project . next while I am under there cleaning up the surface rust I need to wire for the inertia switch. the pump pressure is rated at 4-6 psi  so maybe later I will put the fuel pressure gauge  back in and check the fuel pressure . the airtex 8016 pump gave me 2.7psi at the regulator that is the highest it would do.I would like to set this pump a little higher maybe 3.50 psi.

IMGP0205.JPG

IMGP0206.JPG

IMGP0203.JPG

IMGP0204.JPG

Edited by kully 560
  • Like 1

if anybody is interested I way only able to get 3.2 psi from this pump . but the car runs great and quiet now. I have the stock carter 60 micron filter before the pump and a inline baldwin 15 micron before the regulator. hope this help anybody looking for a quiet pump for the su carbs.

• Like 1

You might want to switch those filters around because at the moment the 15 mic filter is doing nothing, there is nothing in the gas flow for it to catch. Putting the 15 mic at the pump will still get 95% of any particles and give you better psi then the 60 mic cleans the rest before it enters the carbs.

Everything I said above is wrong

Edited by grannyknot
  • Like 1

hello grannyknot,  when I spoke to carter tech support the filter before the pump that they supply is a 60 micron ,I was informed by tech support not to go below 40 micron, it could restrict flow but I could increase up to 100 micron before the pump  . this pump is not self priming ! I needed to install it at or below the fuel tank.  I guess that might be why they do not want me go much lower on the filtration before the pump. I would love to be able to reach 3.5 psi at one point for the su carbs . I was thinking maybe a cleanable 100 micron billet filter before the pump [ more flow to the pump ?] if that will help me get to 3.5psi? I like to have the better filter before the regulator and carbs also .

What the tech is saying makes no sense to me, a 100 micron filter is filtering particles to close 100 microns in size, that is close to 7 times smaller than a 15 micron filter. So the 100 filter material has to be much finer and denser to catch the tiny particles and will slow the flow a lot more than a 15 will. Lets say a bug screen on a window represents the 15 filter, then the 100 filter would be more like a cotton sheet, that's a bit of an exaggeration but I hope you see my point.  The 100 filter not only slows down the flow more than the 15 but gets clogged up easier and faster restricting flow even more.

This is all wrong too

Edited by grannyknot

you have it backwards a 15 micron is finer than a 100 micron !!that is why a filter before the pump is called a pre filter with is usually a larger filter like a 100  micron . the filter before the regulator and carbs is called a pre filter usually 10 -40 micron. the 100 micron has a larger openings in the pleats and the 10 micron has smaller openings. efi should use a 10 micron filter and carbs should use a 40 micron, that is the basic rule . I am going to change my baldwin 15 micron filter as it has a 90 degree bend on one end to a straight through design that should get me a little closer to my 3.5psi I hope. 

if anybody is interested I removed the 90 degree baldwin filter that was 15 micron and installed a purolator  10 micron straight through filter and my pressure went to 3.5psi. I did not check if I could raise the pressure higher with my regulator I was happy with the 3.5psi. my l28 seem to run better with the higher pressure going from 2.7 psi with the airtex and now with the carter the psi is 3.5psi .is seems like less throttle to move the car now . hope this review help anybody interested in a quiet pump with good pressure .

• Like 2