IGNORED

1980 280ZX Gas Cap Stuck

hansmeister

My gas cap is stuck.  Previously, I lubed the lock and had a new key made.  The Lock/Unlock function was fine, but the cap felt like it was stuck/corroded in-place.

When the cap is locked, I know it spins.  So, I locked the cap and with a small piece of wood using a hammer, I got it to spin.

Unlocked the cap, and it still was stuck.  It would rotated about 45 degrees and then stop.  I used the piece of wood and hammer, and now it will rotated grudgingly but not un-thread.  Has anyone else had this problem, and what was the remedy?  I am prepared to buy another cap.

I have gone back 10 years in this forum without finding a similar situation.

The cap was badly corroded in place.

I went to Motorsport and bought a new one.  Took it apart to see how it worked.  I drilled holes in the black plastic at the 5 screw locations.  Using a channel lock, I pried it off.  The keylock center mechanism lifts right out.  Had to buy a pricey #9 easy out.  Stuck it into the remaining formed steel cap, and with a large crescent torqued it off.  Photo attached.

Old Gas Cap Removal.jpg

• Like 2