IGNORED

Rear Main Seal installation

Dave WM

I don't want to screw this up.

I have a NISSAN OE  rear main seal, it comes with little red dots of lubricant already in place on the inner lip. I assume nothing else is required for the inner lip as far as lubrication of the crankshaft bearing surface (no nicks or scratches or grooves are present)

The question is do I install it dry on the outside or should I lubricate or add sealant to the OUTSIDE of the seal. I assume dry will make it harder to press into place.

I was thinking of using the Permatex anaerobic gasket sealer, its almost like grease, and hardens in the absence of air. That is IF anything should be done on the outside. I tried searching and just wanted a current thought on it.

One more, I have seen grease added to the space where the spring is located, I presume to hold it fast during installation. Is this something that should be done?

Edited by Dave WM

I installed it dry on the outside, some assy lube was applied to the crankshaft surface. I applied grease to the inside of the seal where the spring resides. The seal already had factory applied lube n the lip so no extra was used I eased the seal on then worked it back into place about 1/8" from there it began to resist just hand pressure. I made a driver from some 1" oak with a 3.25 hole cut with a hold saw. I placed another solid 1" piece on top of that that and used a hammer to drive the rest of the way in. It fits perfectly flush thanks to the tool. I suspect my early failure from the other NON OE seal may be due to less that perfect flush I noticed is seemed to stick out just a bit on the bottom, so I apparently did not drive it flush all the way around. On that one I did NOT use a tool just some scrap wood tapping all around the seal.