IGNORED

Zstore Headliner pillar and roof rails

AZDatsun

I have the https://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/classic08a02b/40-4525

and I put the headliner in just fine but I don’t get how to put in the pillar and roof rail parts. The vinyl sections seem overly wide. Does anyone have this kit and do and I need to trim it down? I also am not sure where or if I should be tucking it into something. I am also just guessing I should first glue down the padding then glue the vinyl to the padding.

Any pictures would be great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just installed this kit not too long ago. It does have lots of extra material so you do need to trim it. The kit is also missing the pinch molding (also called steel reinforced rubber u-channel) you may need if yours is missing. It’s used to secure one edge of the trim pieces to the roof rail before wrapping them down and around and gluing the other edge. It’s possible to install without the pinch molding, but I thought it would give me a way to get the pieces lined up in an “undoable” way, and I’m glad I did.

I glued the padding in place first and trimmed it, then pinched the windshield piece in place. Repeated with the side pieces, doing the roof rail part first, then the A-pillars.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

BTW, I bought the U-channel from McMaster-Carr - 10ft of part no. 24175K63 "U-Channel Push-on Trim Flame-Retardant, 3/16" Wide X 13/32" High Inside". Here are a few pictures of the process and the end result. It was much more of a PITA than it should have been. 

Windshield part of the roof rail with padding glued on and vinyl pinched into place with u-channel molding.

IMG_20181216_153836.jpg

I trimmed the padding to be the full width of the rail, but only applied glue to the wide flat part so that the u-channel could fit under it (allowing the padding to overlap the u-channel). 

IMG_20181216_153856.jpg

When gluing the vinyl in place, I started in the center and worked my way to the sides. I did not apply glue to the padding, hoping that it would make it easier (and more forgiving) to get the vinyl stretched properly into place. I still ended up with some wrinkles in the corners, where the sun visors attach. IMG_20181223_143909.jpg

IMG_20181223_161239.jpg

Here's the pinch molding attached to passenger side roof rail. IMG_20181223_162516.jpg

And, then end result:

IMG_20181229_131514.jpg

IMG_20181229_131527.jpg

• Like 2

Wow this is great info I only have the front welt piece not the sides so it looks like I will be ordering that for sure.

Thank you for that detailed description and pictures this goes a long way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 10 months later...

I also got the MSA pillar and roof rail parts. The vinyl & padding sections seemed overly wide. That's before I found this wonderful description.

Tomorrow I will be following the above directions, hopefully with success.

Thank You to podgen & all Z-car owners who go to great efforts to document the activities they have completed.

CRShowers