IGNORED

Setting Distributor Air Gap

chiefmd

Decided to replace the old worn out distributor on my 77 280z. Received the replacement and decided to check the air gap and its greater (about twice) than what the FSM recommends. So I thought maybe I should check the original dizzy and it to was well over max recommended setting. My question is should I go ahead and set the new distributor to the factory setting. Thanks

PS Forgot to mention that the car did run before I pulled the distributor, but it was running rich.

Edited by chiefmd

Yes.  I would.  Many reman parts are  poorly assembled.  The parts might be new but the people putting them together are probably in a hurry.  I would check and adjust the new one as if you had a problem and are running through a check list.  Measure pickup coil resistance, make sure the vacuum diaphragm isn't blown, rotate the breaker plate, etc.