IGNORED

wiper motor bag/boot

qz16

I just completed the honda wiper motor upgrade thanks to Zs-ondabrain (knowledge base article) and to and to brandenz (atlanticz tech tip).

My restoration is a 1973 240z.  When I tore it down there was no boot/bag covering the original wiper motor.  I believe you can buy the boot from Banzai for about $70.  I also found someone quoting a Nissan part number 28836E4100.  I do not know if this number is the real deal.  Normal Nissan sites do not recognize this number, but I did find the following: https://parts.bayridgenissan.com/p/Nissan__/COVER---MOTOR/51241601/28836E4100.html.  This is a dealer in Brooklyn, NY.  Again, there is no image on their site and I do not know if it is really available or if it is really the cover for the wiper motor.  The price is great $8.95.  Has anyone bought this product from this dealer?

Sorry for the long lead in.  Is the bag/boot (plastic/vinyl) really needed.  As best I can tell the bag is not totally sealed.  I think there are holes for the motor shaft connection to the wiper linkage, and for the screws to mount the motor to its bracket.  So, moisture can still get inside.  I realize that the bag does protect the motor from water entering via the cowl.  I know I am being lazy about acquiring the bag or making a replacement, and then installing it.  Does anyone have any experience operating without the bag over a long period of time?  As an alternative I was thinking about coating the motor to improve its resistance to water.

As you mention, it is not sealed, it is just a deflector really for water entering from above. A carefully placed piece-o-something plastic above it, attached to the cowl would likely do just fine to deflect rain water. 

If you're wanting a real one, let me know, 

Thanks for the quick response.  I like the idea of something hard to deflect the water.   I wonder why Nissan didn't do that.  Once I make up my mind I may come back to you to take advantage of your offer for a real one - thanks.