IGNORED

How Many 240Z’s (1970 to 1973) are left?

Diseazd

22 hours ago, Diseazd said:

Anyone have a somewhat reliable count on approximately how many 240Zs are still left? I wonder if Carl Beck has some insight into this? There were approximately 172,000 sold........It would be curious to know how many restorable cars are left....eh? So many have been crushed....how rare are they?

Guy

Hi Guy:  Reliable count? - no. 

In rounded numbers, there were 153,000 HLS30 Datsun 240Z’s were produced. That is just based on the highest HLS30 VIN found so far. HLS30 172767 minus 20,000 VIN numbers not used/assigned between the 1972 and 1973 Model Years. 98% of which were sold in North America.

Over the past 30 years, I’ve recorded about 2600 HLS30 VIN’s 1969 though 1973 - gathered from any/all sources. Local Club’s, For Sale Ad.’s, eBay, ZCCA Conventions, on-line forums like this, FaceBook etc. etc. Most likely some of the VIN’s recorded 20 or 30 years ago - have also been lost to crashes or rust etc. 

If my statistical sample captured 1 out of 3 HLS30 240Z’s remaining - there very well might be 7800 of them still in existence. For vehicles 46 to 49 years old - 5% remaining would be an exceptional number. 

How Many are Restorable?… depends on now much the market values them now and in the future. At present rates of $30K to $50K could be 25% of the remaining cars are financially feasible for a full refresh or restoration. If market values increase significantly to say $80K to $100K maybe 35%+ are restorable. 
Carl
  • Like 1

Carl....That makes sense. Seems like with the current interest in the 240Zs, they are coming out of the wood work, but with only that few left, collectors starting to hold on to them and normal attrition, I would think that their value will continue to climb. Missed you in Atlanta....hope to see you soon.

Regards

Guy

• Like 1