IGNORED

The definitive Z book

SpeedRoo

7 minutes ago, 240260280 said:

I think the vibration was noted in the Q4 testing in North America.  @Kats noted this from his research and friends who where there in 1969:

That was the case, but Uemura san, Ozawa san and the other members of the 'Kaku U' team from Nissan Shatai had no direct responsibility for internal engine issues which were domain of Nissan Kohki. The 'Kaku U' team could report their experiences to Nissan Kohki, but Nissan Kohki were undertaking their own testing in Japan and were already fully aware of the problem.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: There's too much emphasis on the north American side of the story here, and that's why everybody is ready to believe the BRE-narrated story of 'discovering a problem' and prescribing the cure. Meanwhile Nissan Kohki - having designed the crankshaft with six counterweights to save money on a de-contented, cost-sensitive product - were fully aware of the problem and were arguing with the white shirts about the costs and implications (not least homologation) of going to eight counterweights.

It's almost like people are ready to believe that Nissan was some tin pot company which didn't know what it was doing...       

• Like 3

NVZEE, this forum is a drama in its own way and always has been; at least as long as I have been here.  It's still the best game in town and after all the arguments, put-downs, sarcasm and revolts, this forum has the best information about the story of the 'Z'.  In my opinion, of course!  No one withholds information.  Not on purpose, I would say.  The information is all here in the library anyway.  Where do you think Hoover gets all his pictures?

• Like 4

"were you involved developing the 240Z for racing with the NMC competition department here in the USA"

No.  I raced an MG Midget in SCCA F-Production from 1971 to 1974.  Then I raced an Alexis Formula Ford in 1976-1978.  Before I got my license in 1971, I hung out with a group of guys racing mostly British products and a Brabham FC from around 1967.  I was 14.  One of the guys who hung with us at the races drove a Fairlady 1600 and later in 1972, another friend started racing a Datsun 1200 in C-Sedan.  When his car ran well, it smoked the Mini Coopers.  But I digress...

The NMC competition department was nothing more than parts distribution.  Datsun Competition Department, Nissan Motor Corporation in the USA distributed parts.  The race teams we are discussing (BRE and Sharp) were East coast and West coast supported racing teams under private ownership and contracted to NMC USA directly.  There was an amateur support program which paid money for victories and at certain races, the Datsun Competition Department had a support truck with parts.  There were parties and beer as I recall.

In about 1966, Lee Wiley, under the direction of Mr. Katayama, set up a parts distribution of Japanese imported competition parts for the SPL-SRL Fairlady Roasters.  In 1967, d*** Roberts was placed in charge of the department.  Information from the competition department came in the form of bulletins, 10 - 20 pages of part numbers and descriptions and prices sent to Datsun dealers.  I have two distribution bulletins; one from "The Auto Works" in Granada Hills, California and another from Bob Sharp Racing in Danbury, Connecticut.  Informational bulletins were also issued.  I have one here; "U20 Racing Engine Oil Flow Improvement" issue RB-168.  It's a three-page description, tools required, parts required, illustrated, step-by-step set of instructions.  The Datsun Competition Department Bulletin from May 1, 1971, is my earliest "Datsun Competition Parts Catalog" although it was little more than 30 sheets stapled together.  It includes parts for the 240 Z HLS30 both from the Japanese Sports Option Catalog, September 1970, and the standard parts catalog from November 1969.  The first bound, published competition parts catalog, the red one, came April 15, 1973.  It included Japanese Sports Option parts, standard parts as well as domestic manufactured competition parts.  Flywheels, for example, were manufactured by Tilton.  There is nothing in any of my literature that mentions the PS30, PS30SB or the S20 engine.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, SpeedRoo said:

the first 1000 L24 engines built

Take a look at the Service Bulletin.  It wasn't the first 1000 engines.

And the Kaku-U "vibrations" you guys are referring to concerns the suspension, not the engine.

Edited by 26th-Z

Thanks 26th, according to the SB it was the first 3606 L24 engines, I had read 1000 on this forum so my mistake. Got some feedback to my inquiries today both from the USA and Japan. Looks like 2 432 were brought in back in the day, not sure to whom or why...still working on that.

My contacts in Japan have provided loads of information on the Z432-R, chassis numbers, registration, specs, location. Busy compiling it for my own personal use so I wont post it here. Flat out reading through the Z books I picked up so it's all starting to make sense now. Many thanks to the people who reached out to me behind the scenes to provide information and support....you have been a great help.

Some ex Formula 1/Sportscar drivers from the seventies have connected me with race people in Japan so I'll follow up the brief race history of the Z432-R with them. Now it's time to get back to work on my 240Z.

Thanks to the forum and a merry Christmas and great New Year to one and all!

• Like 2