IGNORED

Fuel Pump Plumbing Check

Hodgimus-maximus

Hi all,

My fuel pump died so I'm replacing it with a new one. I just wanted to have a quick sanity check to make sure I'm not going to burn this one up.  My only concern is the new inlet for my fuel pump goes to the filter which is about 2 inches above the outlet of the fuel tank.  Please let me know if you notice anything wrong other than I haven't wired up the pump yet.

IMG_2264.jpg

44 minutes ago, siteunseen said:

My reply vanished? Read this...

http://www.atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/EFI&fuel.htm

I see there is a hide button. Whats the Purpose Of That On A Reply And Why Are All My Words Getting Capitalized? Something weird is going on?

Thanks I looked at that but it didn't have what I'm looking for.

Looks like it flows over twice what an L6 needs.  The stock pumps are about 30 gph, you're at 67.  Not sure what car you're in but the 240Z's have problems with high flow EFI pumps, the retunr lines are too small.  Some people have problems with their 280Z lines, when using the high flow pumps, apparently.  And these types of pumps hate inlet restrictions.  Not sure what type of pre-filter you're using but it should be a low restriction filter.  The final filtering happens on the other side, the prefilter is just for the chunky stuff.

Kind of looks like you'll have a noisy pump that gets hot and might fail soon.  The system is not cohesive.

What was the old pump that just failed?

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/dwk-9-250?seid=srese1&cm_mmc=pla-google-_-shopping-_-srese1-_-deatschwerks&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIzMSewsP33QIVEKrsCh1IrQslEAQYAiABEgLCF_D_BwE

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Zed Head said:

Looks like it flows over twice what an L6 needs.  The stock pumps are about 30 gph, you're at 67.  Not sure what car you're in but the 240Z's have problems with high flow EFI pumps, the retunr lines are too small.  Some people have problems with their 280Z lines, when using the high flow pumps, apparently.  And these types of pumps hate inlet restrictions.  Not sure what type of pre-filter you're using but it should be a low restriction filter.  The final filtering happens on the other side, the prefilter is just for the chunky stuff.

Kind of looks like you'll have a noisy pump that gets hot and might fail soon.  The system is not cohesive.

What was the old pump that just failed?

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/dwk-9-250?seid=srese1&cm_mmc=pla-google-_-shopping-_-srese1-_-deatschwerks&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIzMSewsP33QIVEKrsCh1IrQslEAQYAiABEgLCF_D_BwE

Its a 1975 efi 280z.  The filter is 100 micron  recommend by deachwerks before the pump. I'm going to instal itb's with megasquirt over the winter with larger injectors and aftermarket fuel pressure regulator.  I'm not concerned about noise due to the car being strait piped.  The last pump burned up due to having corroded terminals so I put new ones on.  the old pump would come on and run for a few seconds and them shut off.  It could be the fuel pump/injector relay but I don't think that would be the issue.

Edited by Hodgimus-maximus
grammer and more information
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Hodgimus-maximus said:

I'm not concerned about noise due to the car being strait piped.  The last pump burned up due to having corroded terminals so I put new ones on.  the old pump would come on and run for a few seconds and them shut off.  It could be the fuel pump/injector relay but I don't think that would be the issue.

The noise is often caused by the pump straining to pull the fuel through the inlet.  Not really a hearing concern but a sign that the load is too high.  Can cause overheating.

Anyway, you might be fine with what you have.  Power it up, see if it makes noise, see if it gets hot.  See if the pressure is regulated correctly.

1 hour ago, Zed Head said:

The noise is often caused by the pump straining to pull the fuel through the inlet.  Not really a hearing concern but a sign that the load is too high.  Can cause overheating.

Anyway, you might be fine with what you have.  Power it up, see if it makes noise, see if it gets hot.  See if the pressure is regulated correctly.

cool will do

I forgot to say though, that I can't tell what's plumbed to what in your picture.  All of the hoses head off the frame or behind something.  Just can't tell.  Can't see the pump inlet, only the outlet.

I like the big "FLOW" arrow they put on the pump.  Very helpful.

Don't forget that all of the pressurized fuel hose should be EFI rated.

2 hours ago, Zed Head said:

I forgot to say though, that I can't tell what's plumbed to what in your picture.  All of the hoses head off the frame or behind something.  Just can't tell.  Can't see the pump inlet, only the outlet.

I like the big "FLOW" arrow they put on the pump.  Very helpful.

Don't forget that all of the pressurized fuel hose should be EFI rated.

The outlet for fuel filter and the inlet for the pump are connected by a 180 degree -6 AN fitting on the outside of the fuel pump bracket. I also removed the fuel damper since I have read that it doesn't make much of a difference if it is there or not.  I'll take a picture of it when I have time after work.

I had a chance to get it properly started today before work. apparently my fuel pump contact pin in my AFM was bent out of shape. The new fuel pump is much quieter than my old pump. Thanks for all your input. I’ll upload a picture of the other side of my fuel pump bracket this evening.

Sent from my iPhone using Classic Zcar Club mobile