IGNORED

Cadmium vs Zinc

Patcon

• 1 month later...

I've seen this discussed several times here and I'll throw in my 2C worth.

I have a plating shop who has done all my plating for clock housings, screws , tubing, and brackets. What I thought was Cad was really yellow Zinc and blue Zinc. Most all of the Yellow Zinc is for my 75 280, but I have a lot of yellow Zinc done for 240 Rally Clock oscillators and mis-hardware. Cad is not as bright as the yellow Zinc.

Depending on the chromate used you will have a red or green hue to the yellow Zinc.  It's hard to tell after all the years, but a plater can tell you the difference by stripping a plated part.

ZC 

Edited by zclocks

Hey guys here's another Caution. Be very careful around heavy metals . This stuff is accumulative in you blood/system and might not manifest itself as serious, but it is . lead and Cad can cause major health issues as well as DEATH and genetic defects.Heavy metals are hard to clear the body. 

Welding throws off many different gasses as well as soldering, yes soldering! Lead levels can sneak up on  you if your shooting , soldering  or welding. Wear a GOOD approved mask for welding or soldering. Your lungs will thank you down the road. 

Short story:

When I was in an exhaust shop years ago I saw a guy welding a up an exhaust pipe without eye protection(dark lens). When I ask  why he said he couldn't see what he was welding? I thought then I wonder when he'll go blind . Not more than 2 months ago I saw a guy on Utube demonstrating a welder WITHOUT  glasses.

Also, if you do any sand blasting WEAR a Mask. The silicone in sand and many abrasives can cause silicosis. This is caused by exposure to crystalline silica, which comes from chipping, drilling, or grinding soil, and, granite or other materials.

ZC

• Like 2