IGNORED

alternator swap

Dave WM

wonder if this would work well for a 280z swap. replace the pulley and make some wiring mods (I have 75 so no need for charging light).

think I would just need a switched power supply for the field coil.

https://www.partsgeek.com/vj8ysk1-infiniti-j30-alternator.html

90 amps infinity J30

Edited by Dave WM

My guess is the real issue is the pulley size as I only have issues with voltage sagging under about 2k, so normal driving is not an issue. And this is only with everything on (Light/AC fan being the biggest draws).

I see a lot of swaps using the GM motors style where you mod the alt mount. It looks like the pulleys I see on those are smaller than the stock Nissan. So is the GM really any better with the stock size pulley? or to put it another way, is the GM getting spun to fast with a L28 spinning up to 6k rpm? I presume if those GM's were flying apart from over revving I would have read about it already.

I think that J30 alt is similar to the Maxima alternator.  I think it uses a ribbed belt too, not a V-belt.  I modified a 90 amp Maxima alt but it's still sitting in my garage waiting for my old ZX alt to die.  The hardest part is getting the nut off of the pulley shaft, and getting a pulley that will fit and be centered after messing around with it.  The Maxima alternator is a bolt-on as far as brackets go.  I think.  I should go out and refit mine to be sure.

Just now, Zed Head said:

I've found that my old Nissan factory ZX alternator is better at low RPM than a "new" reman alternator.  It's fun to modify but if you're just looking for an improvement that might be an option, if you see one on your wanderings.

Roger.