IGNORED

rear bumper spacing

siteunseen

My rear bumper is extremely close to the body. I've read someone say "business card gap" before. Is that true or original spacing? 

Not a huge deal but I recently read on the "Vietnamese SS bumper" thread where they needed extra washers on the mounting brackets.

Curious to know what the proper gap should be below the tag on a '72 240. Thanks for any comments, help with this.

Cliff

Cliff - my OE bumper was about 1/8" off the valance at the center, the new SS bumper is the same.  The "washers" comment was from Colin.  We PM'd a bit before and after his purchase, he told me his brackets might have been a bit bent resulting in the new SS bumper contacting his valance.  Hope this helps.

Jim

14 hours ago, jfa.series1 said:

Cliff - my OE bumper was about 1/8" off the valance at the center, the new SS bumper is the same.  The "washers" comment was from Colin.  We PM'd a bit before and after his purchase, he told me his brackets might have been a bit bent resulting in the new SS bumper contacting his valance.  Hope this helps.

Jim

Thank you Mr Arnett!

I can run a dollar bill all the way down the center piece. When we get some cooler weather I may pull it off and add some thin SS washers to get the 1/8" gap you have.

Cliff

8 hours ago, siteunseen said:

Thank you Mr Arnett!

I can run a dollar bill all the way down the center piece. When we get some cooler weather I may pull it off and add some thin SS washers to get the 1/8" gap you have.

Cliff

Cliff - I just saw the pic of your car that you posted in the "Tail Light Issue" thread.  It looks like you have the aftermarket bumper sold by MSA and others.  If so, that is the model of bumper I had problems with because the arc of the center bar was too shallow for the curve of the valance on my car.  That probably explains why yours is so close.  At least you had more success than me in that you were able to get it installed.  Yaayyyy!!!

• Thanks 1