IGNORED

1981 200sx 5 speed

idoxlr8

Can you post a picture?  I think there is another 5 speed that Nissan used on the lower power engines.  My 1978 Datsun B210 had a 5 speed but I'm pretty sure it wasn't a 71B 5 speed.  My vague memory is of a much smaller unit.

I found an old 200SX manual that I had that shows the 71B as the 200SX transmission.  So if you get a Z car front case/housing it should bolt to the engine.  But, as I said, it's been reported the the length might be different.  So it might not be "just like" a Z car 5 speed. 

And, if the tail shaft housing is different the crossmember mounting points might be different, along with the exhaust system hangers.  So, you could probably make it work but it might not be worth the effort.

That seems to be what mine are.  So with a front case swap it should work.  You shouldn't have to do any extra work either, bearing swaps or grinding, since the bearings and clearances should be the same.  But the ratios are more like a 280Z, not a 280ZX, apparently.  The Haynes manual that I have says the ratios are 3.321, 2.077, 1.308, 1, and 0.833.  So a 3.54 diff ratio would be about right.

• Thanks 1

You will have to open up one of the shift fork holes and relocate the reverse switch boss on your four speed bell housing. I just did this with a 86 200sx tranny except I used a five speed bell housing I had laying around.